RI Filmmaker Sorensen to Honor Vietnam Vets at Memorial Day Gala in D.C.
Saturday, May 28, 2016
“It’s an enormous honor to be asked to participate in this event. Anyone who has visited the Vietnam Memorial knows what a meaningful and memorable experience it is.If it wasn’t for Jan Scruggs, the Vietnam Memorial as we know it simply would not exist. I would never have made the film if it wasn’t for Jan,” said Sorenson.
The Jan Scruggs Retirement Gala will celebrate the man who conceived the idea of building the Vietnam Veterans Memorial. The master of ceremonies for the gala will be Gary Sinise, actor and humanitarian. The keynote speaker will be former Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel.
For Sorensen, the Vietnam War is of great interest as he is the son of Vietnam Vet Peter Sorensen. Soren Sorensen's feature length documentary "My Father's Vietnam" won the soldiers & Sacrifice Grand Prize at the 2015 Rhode Island International Film Festival.
For more information about the movie, click here.
Soren Sorensen is an award-winning filmmaker and composer of original music for film, television and web. Sorensen is co-creator, director and editor of “Harvesting Rhode Island,” a Rhode Island PBS series on the subject of food and farming.
ABOUT THE VIETNAM VETERANS MEMORIAL FUND
The Vietnam Veterans Memorial Fund (VVMF) is the nonprofit organization that founded the Vietnam Veterans Memorial (The Wall) in Washington, D.C. in 1982. VVMF continues to lead the way in paying tribute to our nation's Vietnam veterans and their families.
Related Slideshow: 25 Ways to Celebrate Veterans in RI & New England - 2016
Operation Stand Down's Boots on the Ground Memorial
Operation Stand Down RI (OSDRI) will host the first annual Boost on the Ground for Heroes Memorial this Memorial Day weekend from Friday, May 27 at 5 p.m. to Monday May 30 at 4 p.m. Overall, OSDRI will place 6,844 boots in the field by the Temple to Music at Roger Williams Park throughout the weekend.
A formal ceremony will be held on Saturday, May 28 at 11 a.m. where Sgt. Major Todd Parisi will deliver the keynote address.
The event will honor all of Rhode Island's veterans American heroes who were killed in action defending the country during the war on terror by marking their lives with a boot, a flag and a name placard.
Foster Parade and Wreath Laying
The Foster Memorial Day Parade and wreath laying will kick off at 8:45 a..m. on Monday from the Foster Center and North roads and go to the Ben Eddy Building.
There will also be a speaking program and the unveiling of a monument that is dedicated to World War II veterans who were originally from Foster.
Flag Retirement Ceremony in Little Compton
The flag retirement ceremony will take pace at post home on the commons in Little Compton at 2 p.m.
During the event, the public is invited to bring worn flags to burn.
Following that, there will be a memorial service at Acoxet Chapel in Westport at 7 p.m.
North Providence Parade
The North Providence Memorial Day Parade begins at 1 p.m. on Monday starting from North Providence High School on Mineral Spring Avenue and ends a Governor John Notte Jr. Park.
The parade will be followed by a short ceremony and then entertainment and food in the park from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m.
1876 Tribute Re-enactment and Procession
Mystic Seaport in Mystic Connecticut will put on a re-enactment by costumed role-players of an 1876 tribute and procession honoring those who had fallen in the Civil War on Monday.
The reenactment includes the roll of the dead in Fishtown Chapel, observance in Greenmanville Church and a procession to Middle Wharf as well as music of the Civil War fife and drum program.
The entire day goes from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Bangor, Maine Memorial Day Parade
The Bangor Maine Memorial Day Parade will begin at 10:15 a.m. starting on Exchange Street.
The parade will proceed north on Exchange street and finish on Main Street.
Immediately following the parade there will be a ceremony at Davenport Park.
PHOTO: Davenport Park
Seekonk Memorial Day Parade
The Seekonk Memorial Day Parade kicks off at 10 a.m. on Saturday from Seekonk High School and ends at Dr. Kevin Hurley Middle School.
Following the parade, there will be a dedication of the Seekonk Veterans Memorial next tot the Seekonk Library. The dedication takes place at Noon.
Battleship Cove in Fall River
Battleship Cove in Fall River will host an observance at noon in order to honor and remember the men and women who dedicated and dedicate their lives to protecting the country.
The ceremony will consist of a the raising of the flag from half staff as well as a 21 gun salute.
The ceremony is FREE and open to the public.
Shrewsbury Memorial Day Parade
The Shrewsbury Memorial Day Parade will start at 9:30 a.m. on Monday from the Richard Carney Municipal Office building and makes several stops along the way.
The parade stops at Soldier's Statue in front of the Police Station on Maple Ave, War Memorial at the Town Center and at the Veterans Lot at Mountain View Cemetery.
At this year's ceremony, Massachusetts Lieutenant Governor, Karyn Polito will speak at the Town Center.
- DON’T MISS: Veterans Day Events in Rhode Island 2013
- Carol Anne Costa: Every Day Is Veterans Day
- CVS Caremark Charity Classic Hosts Golf Clinics For Veterans
- Operation Stand Down Rhode Island Awarded Grant to Help Veterans Obtain Employment
- Gilbane Building Co. Gets Contract For New Veterans Home
- Blackstone Valley Tourism Council Announces Veterans Day Events
- NEW: Plans for New RI Veterans Home Get Federal Approval
- Veterans Day Events in Rhode Island 2012
- NEW: Congressman Cicilline Honors Veterans
- Carol Anne Costa: Rhode Island’s Veterans On The Edge
- RI Veterans Affairs Partners With RWU To Help Veterans Get Degrees
- Researchers at RI Hospital Discover Trend Among Veterans Fatally Overdosing
- Guest MINDSETTER ™ Walter S. Felag, Jr: RI Senate’s Ongoing Commitment to RI Veterans
- GoLocal’s Nagle Part of Celebrity Bartender Benefit for Veterans This Thursday
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Mundy: The Opioid Crisis & Our Veterans - We Must Do Better
- Raimondo Names Kasim Yarn as RI’s First Director of Veterans Affairs
- GoLocalTV: Dare to Dream Ranch Supports Veterans in RI
- For Veterans Some of the Deepest Wounds Are Invisible
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Santos: America’s Veterans, Her Forsaken Sons and Daughters
- OSDRI Serves Over 100 Thanksgiving Dinners to Veterans and Families
- Smart Benefits: Veterans Exempt from Employee Count Under ACA
- OSDRI Releases Schedule of Events Around Veterans Day
- Veterans Group Blasts Rhode Island Homeless Coalition
- 2015 Rhode Island Veterans Day Events
- 25 Ways to Celebrate Veterans in RI & New England