Rhythm & Roots Returns To Rhode Island This Weekend
Thursday, August 29, 2013
Carolina Chocolate Drops
One band excited to be returning to the festival are the Carolina Chocolate Drops, fan favorites from a year ago. In April, the Grammy Award winning act put on a roots music clinic at Lupo’s. It’s a slightly different scene at a festival, according to co-founder Rhiannon Giddens. In an interview with GoLocalProv, she noted “you’ve got your own fans and new folks who aren’t as familiar with the band. So you might talk a little less, and play a little more.”
Giddens also commented on the growing appreciation of “Roots” music in recent years. She attributes some of it to a “backlash” to electronic pop music that is so prevalent these days. “Roots music pulls from America’s past and connects to the human condition,” she observed. “Its authentic music and people connect on many levels.” The band will play two sets - they appear Sunday on the main “Festival Stage” and on the “Heritage Stage” with Cajun star Cedric Watson.
This festival is a great family event. They have some of the best facilities and programming for children of all ages – including great entertainers for the kids like storyteller Mark Levitt and musician Keith Munslow . There’s also the popular Kids Cajun Academy (for kids 7-17), a state of the art playground, arts and crafts, a Mardi Gras parade, and movies in the kids tent at night! There are also numerous food vendors to keep the little (and big) ones happy!
With five stages of great music, the biggest challenge will be trying to get to see all the great artists appearing. As festival veterans will tell you, it’s not an easy task. The main “Festival Stage” is the biggest draw, but sometimes you get the best performances at the other sites. Plan carefully, and be prepared for a few surprises! A full schedule of the weekend is posted here.
Look for a review of the Rhythm and Roots Festival on GoLocalProv next week!
- 5 (Long) Weekend Musts: Summer Pops in Bristol + More
- MUSIC: B.B. King Brings The Blues To Newport
- MUSIC: Baroness Annihilates The Met
- MUSIC: Chain & The Gang Get Crazy At The Columbus
- MUSIC: Chris Isaak On Fire At Newport’s Sunset Music Series
- MUSIC: Consuelo’s Revenge Unleashes Vengeance At The Parlour
- MUSIC: Del The Funky Homosapien Spits Rhymes At The Met
- MUSIC: Doobie Brothers Rock + Roll Newport
- MUSIC: Flow Tribe Jams The Spot
- MUSIC: Gogol Bordello Tears the Roof Off Lupo’s
- MUSIC: Monogold Shines At Fete
- MUSIC: Newport Folk Festival Highlights
- MUSIC: Newport’s Celtic Rock Festival
- MUSIC: So Many Dynamos Sizzles Up Fete
- MUSIC: The Evens Get Up Close + Personal At AS220
- MUSIC: The Lemonheads Sweeten Up The Met
- MUSIC: The Newport Folk Fest Kicks Off At The Blues Cafe
- MUSIC: Vudu Sister Gets Acoustic at the Met
- MUSIC: Woodstock Vets Rock Out at the Park
- MUSIC: Wooly Fair Transforms the Steel Yard