video: Rhode Island’s Nancy Thomas Winner of 2014 #NYCPoetweet Contest
Friday, April 25, 2014
In honor of National Poetry Month, New York City holds Poem in Your Pocket Day. To celebrate, New Yorkers compose their own poems or share their creations with friends and family.
Now in its fourth year, the #NYCPoetweet contest received hundreds of submissions through April 1-8. The contest was open to Twitter users from New York and the rest of the United States.
The winners were published Thursday in Metro New York. This year's lucky recipients were chosen by New York City First Lady Chirlane McCray, who is also a published poet.
Challenging but rewarding
Thomas, who first penned the poem two months ago during Rhode Island's harsh winter, said, "I was just tickled to discover I won." She drew inspiration from summers spent in New York City. With each poem limited to 140 characters, Thomas mused that the form was challenging but rewarding.
"I always considered myself a writer and a storyteller," said Thomas who has been writing poetry since high school. Her first poems were published in the student newspaper at William E. Tolman High School in Pawtucket.
Thomas' personal and professional slogan is "Own your story. Own your success." Through her work at Tapestry Communications, Thomas encourages her clients to tell their own story to separate themselves from the pack.
Nancy Thomas' award-winning poem:
Scrape the shovel / Slosh the puddle / Slap this winter down / Click-clack the heel / Sing-song the sax / Stir this summer town.
New York City First Lady Chirlane McCray reads winning poems
Related Slideshow: First Tweets from Rhode Island’s Most Influential People
Former RI Speaker of the House of Representatives
First Tweet: As I go door-to-door, many people want to hear about the school funding formula and other goals we've accomplished: http://gordonfox.com/gordonfox.com/accomplishments.html - October 22, 2012
Actress, best knoen for Will and Grace, raised in East Greenwich
Followers: 187 K
First Tweet: HELLO!! My very FIRST tweet! Any others you've seen were FAkES! So i thought I'd enter the 21st cent., but bear with me! I'm a newbie! - February 23, 2012
Model on Deal or No Deal and appeared on The Celebrity Apprentice, born in Providence
Tweets: 79.4 K
Followers: 90.8 K
First Tweet: "debating if i want to go out to Hyde and see the same folks I always see, or stay in and watch another movie...damn I need a boyfriend! Lol" - March 14, 2009
- The Big Chart: RI’s 50 Top Tweeters
- NEW: Fung Responds to Supporter’s Racial Tweets about Obama
- Washington, DC’s “Twitter Butler”: Rhode Islander Victoria Devine
- Ayanbadejo A Twitter Twit!
- Top Celebrity Tweeters from RI
- NEW: Fung Volunteer Tweets Racial Comments About Obama
- Curt Schilling Slams Governor Chafee on Twitter
- Tweet N Greet for a Cause at Cuban Revolution
- NEW: Schilling Tweets at Heckler “How About I Just Knock You Out?”
- Four Tips for Using Twitter
- Well-Read: Favorite Authors Who Tweet
- Providence Holiday Tweet Drive Benefits Hasbro Children’s Hospital
- NEW: FirstWorks’ “Your Story/In 140” Twitter Contest
- Andy Cutler: To Tweet Or Not To Tweet
- RI’s Top Tweeters
- New England’s Happiest States According To Twitter
- Bob Lobel: Bruins- How Tweet It Is
- Twitter Account for Michelle Kwan’s Missing Car Mocks Pells & More
- PPAC Offers Free ‘Tweet Seats’ for Top Twitter Users
- Bryant Professor Named Top Business School Tweeter in US
- Twitter Overrated for Helping Us Stay Healthy—RI Hospital Expert
- Politicking on Twitter: A Potentially Dangerous Game
- First Tweets from Rhode Island’s Most Influential People
- Twitter: Ten Words You Need to Know