Revolution House to Debut in Newport Summer 2015
Sunday, May 11, 2014
The new Revolution House will debut next summer in conjunction with the 250 anniversary of the Stamp Act Riot.
“We have found that our visitors are extremely interested in learning more about the American Revolution when they visit Newport. After all, in many ways, it all started here,” explains the Society’s Executive Director Ruth Taylor.
Although well-known history celebrates the Boston Tea Party and the Battles of Lexington and Concord, the first episodes of armed resistance against the British happened right in Rhode Island on Narragansett Bay.
Stamp Act Riot
The Stamp Act Riot was the first in a series of events that eventually led to the Revolutionary War. Stamp Act Riots occurred in Boston and in Newport, among other cities. It was during a riot begun at the Colony House in August of 1765 that patriots sacked and attempted to tear down the Wanton-Lyman-Hazard House, then home to Martin Howard, loyalist and tax collector. The NHS will celebrate the Stamp Act riots this summer with a reenactor-led public “riot” on Saturday August 23, 2014, along with other programs.
Revolution House will provide a dedicated exhibit space to showcase the important role that Newport played in the build-up to and conduct of the Revolutionary War. Innovative exhibits and displays will be installed in the house, which will use artifacts and documents from the Society’s world-class collections. The property will fill a void in the current cultural offerings throughout Newport’s Old Quarter.
This tour season is the last opportunity for visitors to see the property as a conventional house museum.
The Wanton-Lyman-Hazard House is open for tours in May, November & December on Saturdays and Sundays from 11am-3pm; it’s open daily 11am-3pm June through October.
Tours cost $8 per person and are free for NHS members.
Related Slideshow: Newport’s Wyndham Estate in Photos
With a spacious Master Bedroom, large circular Turret and East bedrooms, plus four guest bedrooms; hosting overnight guests is never likely to be problematic in this mansion.
* Master Bedroom - 22'8" by 14'
* Turret Bedroom - 17'10" circular
* East Bedroom - 17'2" by 17'5"
* Guest Bedroom - 12'4" by 11'6"
* Guest Bedroom - 18'6" by 14'10"
* Guest Bedroom - 11'3" by 11'3"
* Guest Bedroom - 12'5" by 8'2"
Want to experience a different view of the Newport Mansions? Try the Newport Cliff Walk. The 3.5 mile long public access pathway pairs the beauty of the Newport coastline with some of the island's historic mansions -- including Beechwood, Rosecliff, Marble House, The Breakers, Ochre Court, and Rough Point
- NEW: Newport Comedy Series to Host Artie Lange, Nick Swardson
- Newport Manners & Etiquette: Making Up Made Easier Online + More
- Revolution House to Debut in Newport Summer 2015
- Newport Art Museum to Honor Famed Architect Richard Morris Hunt
- NEW: Newport Voted One of America’s Best Cities for Food
- Newport Manners & Etiquette: Muddling through College Acceptances
- United Way & BankNewport Give $300K to Newport Afterschool Programs
- 5 Great Spots for Newport Restaurant Week
- Newport Goes Daffy with Weeklong Daffodil Celebration
- Newport Manners & Etiquette: Prom Dress Code, Grad Parties + More
- Ben’s Chili Dog’s: A Newport Staple Since 1969
- Newport Manners & Etiquette: All-White Wedding Etiquette + More
- Newport Manners & Etiquette: Same-Sex Weddings & More
- Deadline for newportFILM’s Ripple Effect Video Contest is Friday
- Newport Manners & Etiquette: Breaking-Up Is Hard to Do
- Newport Manners & Etiquette: Umbrella Dos and Don’ts + More
- Five Things About Tavern on Broadway, Newport
- Newport Manners & Etiquette: Bullies, Rumormongers + Pizza Manners
- Newport Manners & Etiquette: What Not to Say in Delicate Times
- Group Opposed to Paolino Casino Proposal in Newport
- Newport Manners & Etiquette: Condolence Letter Dos & Don’ts
- Newport’s Castle Hill Celebrates “NewPortugal” Wine + Food Week
- NEW: Candelight Vigil Tonight for Newport’s Michael Bourque
- Newport Manners & Etiquette: Hatiquette + Wedding Invitations
- Newport’s The Chanler to Hold Wine Tasting Event This Sunday