Providence International Arts Festival Coming in June
Friday, March 27, 2015
The city wide event will be a “jaw-dropping celebration featuring world-class arts, sculpture, music, food and spectacle in the heart of the city’s downtown.”
The centerpiece of Festival activities is Saturday, June 13, 2015 with events beginning on Kennedy Plaza at 4pm and will feature the largest stringed instrument on the planet as well as performances, visual transformations of city streets with murals, tape art, and photography.
“This festival will be a way to connect the world-class talent we have here in Providence with artists and performers from around the world,” said Providence Mayor Jorge Elorza. “We are excited to welcome visitors to the City to explore all that we have to offer and look forward to partnering with so many great organizations and artists.”
According to FirstWorks, The Providence International Arts Festival will “literally transform the city with international artists in visual art, sculpture, music, public art, civic dialogue, educational workshops, community play, spectacle and parade.”
The Festival will be centralized around program hubs that plans to unify the downtown area into an arts corridor – PVD City Hall, FirstWorks on the Plaza, Public Art Transformations, Empire Street Gateway, and the Washington Street Corridor.
“This festival will be a spectacular convergence of art and music, transformation and ideas - tying the hyper local extraordinary talent with internationally renowned artists and gems on the global arena to spark the imagination and streets of Providence and beyond,” said Kathleen Pletcher, Executive Artistic Director of FirstWorks.
A wide range of musical performers will be featured at the FirstWorks on the Plaza hub: the “undisputed Queen of African Music” Angélique Kidjo, and Oumou Sangaré, Mali’s “great diva” and a Grammy Award-winner. Sangaré will perform with long-time collaborator, Mali native and Providence resident Sidy Maiga, a master drummer, on the Providence Rink stage.
The Department of Art, Culture and Tourism, RI State Council on the Arts and RI Council on the Humanities have teamed up to present “Providence Portraits” -images of the city’s people in the public sphere, and public artist and photographer Mary Beth Meehan will install her giant images made throughout Providence neighborhoods on the sides of buildings along Washington Street, transforming the built environment with dramatic imagery.
The Festival is funded with lead support from an Our Town grant from the National Endowment for the Arts, GTECH, and the RI Foundation. Additional support is provided by Alex & Ani, Coastway Bank, Narragansett Beer, Textron, University Orthopedics, and the Providence Tourism Council.
A full schedule of artists and happenings will be released in early May 2015. Up-to-the-minute information will be found at www.first-works.org beginning April 1, 2015. Contact FirstWorks at 401-421-4278 or [email protected].
- Sweet Honey in the Rock Coming to FirstWorks
- Gare St Lazare Brings Beckett to Dark, Comic Life at FirstWorks
- FirstWorks to Feature AILEY II Workshops, Performances
- NEW: FirstWorks Lands International Islamic Arts Program
- FirstWorks Announces 2011 Festival Schedule
- Pianist Christopher O’Riley at FirstWorks
- La Excelencia Brings Hot Salsa to FirstWorks
- Pilobolus Opens FirstWorks Festival September 25
- Review: Pilobolus Opens FirstWorks Festival
- Jamie Jewett’s “Blinking” at FirstWorks
- Review: “Blinking” at FirstWorks
- Hot String Quartet Brooklyn Rider Coming to FirstWorks
- Laurie Anderson Returns to Providence for FirstWorks
- Don’t Miss: FirstWorks’ “Riot At The Rite” Film + Panel March 14
- Wynton Marsalis, Joffrey Ballet Coming to FirstWorks Providence
- FirstWorks 2013-14 Season Brings World-Class Artists To Rhode Island
- Martha Redbone To Kick Off FirstWorks 10th Anniversary
- Artist Janie Geiser to Showcase Film at FirstWorks April 10
- Dan Lawlor: FirstWorks Festival Made Providence a Classy City
- FirstWorks Takes Over Kennedy Plaza Sept. 29
- Jamie Jewett’s “Seven Veils” World Premiere Coming to FirstWorks
- Bill T. Jones Coming to FirstWorks
- NEW: FirstWorks’ “Your Story/In 140” Twitter Contest
- 5 Weekend Musts: Bobby McFerrin at FirstWorks + More
- FirstWorks Urban Carnevale Announces Final Line-Up