Prov Children’s Museum Announced Opening of “Voyage to Vietnam” Exhibit
Friday, June 16, 2017
“Research tells us that pretend play is one of the best ways for kids to learn to take other perspectives. In Voyage to Vietnam, kids get to immerse themselves in the sights and sounds of a Vietnamese community celebrating an important holiday, Tet. It is our hope that the exhibit will indeed promote a better understanding of Vietnamese people and culture,” said Providence Children’s Museum Exhibit Director Jessica Neuwirth.
The exhibit is set to open on June 16 with a grand opening celebration from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m.
The exhibit promotes understanding of Vietnamese culture and invites children and their caregivers to find the beauty, sights, and sounds of Vietnam.
It showcases traditions, customs and values displayed by the annual celebration of Tet.
Through interactive exhibits, families can immerse themselves in Vietnamese culture, gain an appreciation for traditions, values and daily experiences of people who live in Vietnam, and discover similarities and differences between their lives in the U.S. and the lives of families in Vietnam.
Guests can pose for interactive family photos, dress up in customary Ao Dai, try on a giant Lion Dance Mask, and create a fireworks display to signal the coming of the New Year.
For more information, click here.
Related Slideshow: 25 Things to Look Forward to in New England This Summer - 2017
The Burlington Discover Jazz Festival
The Burlington Discover Jazz Festival takes place from June 2 to June 11 in downtown Burlington, Vermont.
This 10 day celebration features four stages with free live music from Arrested Development and more. The festival also will feature local food and much more.
For more information, click here.
Taking a Cruise on a Windjammer
Head to Maine and sleep aboard a National Landmark, the Maine Windjammer Fleet.
Go on a three, four or six-day cruise and get closer than ever before to wildlife like whales, eagles, and porpoises while you see some of the best coastal scenery that North America has to offer.
After a successful first festival, the PVDFest returns to Providence for the third year and will take place from June 1-4.
The festival will bring in art, music, performances and more from all over the United States and the world for the free outdoor festival.
Catching a Worcester Bravehearts Game
Year after year, the Worcester Bravehearts are one of the best baseball teams in New England.
They bring in some of the best college talent from across the region to compete for the Futures League Championship.
Don't miss a game.
Visiting Cape Playhouse Theatre
Taking a ride to Cape Cod and visit the oldest summer theatre in the country, Cape Playhouse. Cape Playhouse was first opened in 1927 by Raymond Moore.
The theatre has been home to some of the biggest stars to ever grace a stage like Bette Davis, Humphrey Bogart amongst others.
Enjoying the South County Hot Air Balloon Fest
There is nothing quite like the Hot Air Ballon Fest. This is the place to enjoy glowing hot air balloons, crafts, music, food, fishing, carnival rides, fireworks, and more.
The festival will be held from July 21-23 on the URI athletic fields.
Participating in the Worcester World Cup 2017
The 2017 Worcester World Cup is set to take place from Friday, August 11 to Sunday, August 13.
The Worcester World Cup is more than a soccer tournament. It's a celebration of Worcester and a safe, friendly family event that people look forward to all year.
Newport Jazz Festival
The 2017 festival is set to take place from Friday, August 4 to Sunday, August 6.
The festival will show off over 50 individual jazz ensembles on four stages including performances at the International Tennis Hall of Fame and Fort Adams State Park.
Seeing a Movie at the Rustic Drive-In
Look forward to Calling up your friends, pack a picnic, and sit in your car as feature films are projected on giant outdoor screens.
The audio plays right through your radio, so be sure to turn the volume up high as you snack on your candy and popcorn.
Zip Lining in the Berkshires
Looking for something new and exciting? Head to the Berkshires and get yourself on a zip line, maybe even do a canopy tour.
There are three different tour options, starting with the base area tour which lasts an hour or the Moutain Top or Valley Jump tour which takes three hours. Both of those are sure to shoot some adrenaline into your day.
The Little League World Series
While the Little League World Series does not take place in New England, the series is arguably the marquee sporting event of the summer.
There will be a New England team in it this year and therefore, the Little League World Series is always something to look forward to
Catching a PawSox Game at McCoy
Nothing says summer time like sitting at McCoy Stadium and watching a Pawtucket Red Sox game.
While the PawSox are already in action, the weather is getting warmer and it will be much more comfortable to go out to a game.
Billy Joel at Fenway Park
For the fourth consecutive year, rock and roll legend Billy Joel will play Fenway Park.
Billy Joel released his first hit song, arguably still his biggest hit, Piano Man in 1973 and since then has become the 6th best-selling recording artist and the third best-selling solo artist in the United States.
Joel was inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame in 1992 and then the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1999.
- Prov Children’s Museum to Display Adoption RI’s Heart Gallery
- Prov Children’s Museum Names Caroline Payson Executive Director
- Two Newport Museums To Host Ceramics Celebration Day
- GoLocalTV: International Tennis Hall of Fame to Unveil $3 Million Museum Renovations
- Newport Art Museum To Hold Three Talks By Artists
- David Rockefeller Donates $2.5 Million, Art to RISD Museum
- Providence Children’s Museum to Host Resource Fair
- Cardboard Challenge At Providence Children’s Museum
- Best Museums in New England
- Water Ways Exhibit Now Open at Providence Children’s Museum
- Coggeshall Farm Museum to Hold Christmas Tree Sale
- Darrell West Talks 2016 Election at Newport Art Museum on Saturday
- Get Your Hands Dirty With History at Coggeshall Farm Museum
- Security Expert Amore Talks About the Hunt for $500M Gardner Museum Paintings
- LIVE: School Vacation Week at the Providence Children’s Museum
- Lippitt House Museum Opens New Exhibit Highlighting Victorian Food
- RIB & Rhein Team With Swarovski for Tea Party Fundraiser Benefiting Newport Art Museum
- Newport Art Museum Receives Largest Donation in its History
- Lippitt House Museum’s Amazing Holiday Celebrations
- RISD Museum Appoints Fellowships to 3 Providence Residents
- $4 Million in Taxpayer Funding for Quonset Air Museum Starts Legislative Fight
- Double Rhode Island Connection at National Museum of African American History and Culture
- Providence Children’s Museum’s New “Coming to RI” Launches This Month
- Preservation Society of Newport Names Dubé-Scherr Director of Museum Affairs