Preservation Society of Newport County to Hold 70th Anniversary Function
Monday, June 08, 2015
The Preservation Society of Newport County will meet on Thursday evening at The Breakers for its 70th anniversary.
The evening is set to commence at 6 P.M. and will include celebrations, the election of new trustees, and the bestowment of the Preservation Society’s annual Laurel Awards.
John K. Grosvenor will receive one for artisanship, Martha Ginty for horticulture, and William W. Corcoran, Michael Josephson, Jerome R. Kirby, Joseph J. Nicholson, Sr., Monique Panaggio and Gay Sheffield will receive an award for volunteerism.
In addition to the festivities and awards, a small exhibit of 1940’s-era fashion from the Preservation Society’s costume collection will be on display in the Music Room. Also, reports from Chairman of the Board Donald O. Ross, CEO & Executive Director Trudy Coxe, and Treasurer Monty Burnham will take place.
Related Slideshow: newportFILM’s 2015 Summer Lineup
Thursday, July 2nd at 8:30pm
Queen Anne Square
A heart-racing documentary portrait of Carl Boenish, the father of the BASE jumping movement, whose early passion for skydiving led him to ever more spectacular –and dangerous– feats of foot-launched human flight.
Length: 101 minutes
Director: Marah Strauch
Producers: Eric Bruggemann, Marah Strauch, Lars Løge, Alex Gibney, Josh Braun, Dan Braun, Samantha Horley, and Phil Hunt
Thursday, July 9th at 8:45pm
St. George's School Lawn
"Meru" is the story of that journey—one of friendship, sacrifice, hope and obsession.
Length: 87 minutes
Directors: Jimmy Chin, Elizabeth Chai Vasarhelyi
Thursday, July 16th at 8:30pm
The latest film from legendary documentarian Albert Maysles ("Grey Gardens", "Gimme Shelter"), "Iris" pairs the late 88-year-old filmmaker (who passed away on March 5) with Iris Apfel, the quick-witted, flamboyantly dressed 93-year-old style maven who has had an outsized presence on the New York fashion scene for decades.
Length: 80 minutes
Director: Albert Maysles
Producers: Laura Coxson, Rebekah Maysles, and Jennifer Ash Rudick
Thursday, July 23rd at 8:30pm
The Redwood Library and Athenaeum
"The Diplomat" tells the remarkable story of the life and legacy of Ambassador Richard Holbrooke, whose singular career spans fifty years of American foreign policy from Vietnam to Afghanistan.
Director: David Holbrooke
What Happened, Miss Simone?
Thursday, July 30th at 8:30pm
Doris Duke's Rough Point, 680 Bellevue Avenue, Newport
Classically trained pianist, dive-bar chanteuse, black power icon and legendary recording artist, Nina Simone lived a life of brutal honesty, musical genius and tortured melancholy. In this epic documentary, director Liz Garbus interweaves never-before-heard recordings and rare archival footage together with Nina’s most memorable songs, to create an unforgettable portrait of one of the least understood, yet most beloved, artists of our time.
Length: 102 minutes
Director: Liz Garbus
Producers: Amy Hobby, Liz Garbus, Justin Wilkes, and Jayson Jackson
Peggy Guggenheim: Art Addict
Thursday, August 6th at 8:15pm
Newport Art Museum
Bouncing between Europe and the United States as often as she would between lovers, Peggy Guggenheim’s life was as swirling as the design of her uncle’s museum, and reads more like fiction than any reality imaginable. "Peggy Guggenheim: Art Addict" offers a rare look into Guggenheim’s world: blending the abstract, the colorful, the surreal and the salacious, to portray a life that was as complex and unpredictable as the artwork Peggy revered and the artists she pushed forward.
Length: 97 minutes
Director: Lisa Immordino Vreeland
Producers: Stanley Buchthal, David Koh, Dan Braun, and Lisa Immordino Vreeland
Best of Enemies
Thursday, August 13th at 8:15pm
The Elms Mansion Gardens
"Best of Enemies" is a behind-the-scenes account of the explosive 1968 televised debates between liberal Gore Vidal and conservative William F. Buckley Jr., and their rancorous disagreements about politics, God and sex.
Length: 87 minutes
Directors: Morgan Neville and Robert Gordon
Producers: Robert Gordon and Morgan Neville
Thursday, August 20th at 8:00pm
Oscar®-winning director Louie Psihoyos ("The Cove") assembles a team of artists and activists on an undercover operation to expose the hidden world of endangered species and the race to protect them against mass extinction. Spanning the globe to infiltrate the world’s most dangerous black markets and using high tech tactics to document the link between carbon emissions and species extinction, "Racing Extinction" reveals stunning, never-before seen images that truly change the way we see the world.
Length: 94 minutes
Director: Louie Psihoyos
Producers: Fisher Stevens, Olivia Ahnemann, and Gina Papabeis
Harry & Snowman
Thursday, August 27th at 8:45pm
Newport Polo Grounds
"Harry & Snowman" is a feature length documentary that tells the remarkable life story of international show jumping legend Harry deLeyer, whose career was launched by his famous show jumping horse Snowman.
Director: Ron Davis
Producers: Ron Davis, Nancy Knox Talcott, Clay Westervelt, Karin Reid Offield (Exec. Producer), and Paul Winston Blavin (Exec. Producer)
Thursday, September 3rd at 7:30pm
Norman Bird Sanctuary
Set in one of the least known landscapes left on earth, "Tiger, Tiger" is the story of a man with numbered days seeking to save the tiger, an animal whose days may also numbered. Director George Butler.
Length: 90 minutes
Director: George Butler
Producers: Julian Robertson, Caroline Alexander, and Keero Birla
- NEW: Car Crashes Through Shop on Spring Street in Newport
- Woody Allen’s Irrational Man Official Trailer Released - Shot in Newport and Providence
- Newport Manners & Etiquette: What to Say and Not Say with Friends
- NEW: Volvo Ocean Race Boats Set to Arrive in Newport Tonight
- Job Creation Proposal and a New State Pier in Newport: This Week at the State House
- Newport Manners & Etiquette: Open Marriage Etiquette + Other Dilemmas
- Operation Stand Down RI Officially Opens Newport Office
- NewportFILM To Present Free Earth Day Screening of “How To Change The World”
- GoLocalTV - newportFILM Presents “How to Save the World” Tonight
- Twin River Announces Intention to Move Newport Grand to Tiverton
- Newport Manners & Etiquette: Modern Wedding & Funeral Etiquette
- NewportFILM to Hold Screening of “The Search For Freedom”
- Newport Manners & Etiquette: Solving Family Dilemmas
- Newport Grand in Violation of Contract With Rhode Island
- Eighteenth Century Tall Ship to Dock at Fort Adams in Newport
- Newport International Polo Series Kicks Off 23rd Season on Saturday
- Newport and Bristol Counties Ready for the Summer Season with New Businesses and Experiences
- 10 Great Things To Do This Weekend In Newport | June 5
- Newport Manners & Etiquette: How To Be The Best Guest
- Newport Manners & Etiquette: Update Your Etiquette
- Volvo Ocean Race Departs Newport With a Return in 2018 Possible
- Newport Manners & Etiquette: Relationship Dilemmas
- America’s First “Tiny Houses” - Newport, RI
- newportFILM’s 2015 Summer Lineup