Organize + Energize: Mice and Clutter!
Tuesday, April 11, 2017
Mice love finding hiding places near paper, food, and cluttered areas. You’ll usually find their droppings in garages, attics, and basements, but if you have cluttered spaces in your living areas, you can find them nesting in those areas too.
Mice don’t discriminate. If you have clutter, they’ll find you. All homes with clutter and disorganization are all fair game for these critters. They’ll look for anything they can munch on or use for nesting material and they love clutter. You don’t have to be a hoarder to have mice in your home.
When a home is organized with systems in place, clutter will not form. Mice won’t have a place to nest or they won’t be able to find food, so they’ll move to your neighbor’s cluttered house and set up shop there. When there isn’t clutter around, it’s easier to clean your home and under and around furniture so you can keep a close eye on what’s going on in your home. Mice don’t like organization and streamlined spaces.
Take a look around your home and find those cluttered spaces. How long has the clutter been stagnant in that space? It could be the piles of paper in your home office, or the clutter in your closets. If you’re overwhelmed, grab a pen and paper and walk into every room and take a look around or snap some pictures. Jot down where you see piles of clutter forming. It may be an entire room like a spare bedroom that needs to get tackled or it may be one pile of a clutter in the bedroom.
How long have these piles of clutter been hanging around? Has it been weeks, months or years? You don’t know what’s hiding in those piles, and I’m not talking about that shirt that you forgot you had. If you have anything stored in cardboard boxes, get rid of the cardboard boxes. These rodents love to get in and start building nests or using the material for nests. Purchase plastic seal tight bins to store your belongings.
If you don’t have any motivation to get your home organized, I hope this article gives you that little push that you need. The last thing you want in your home are these little critters running around.
Related Slideshow: Organizing Products For Your Closet
Flip flop organizer
How many flip flops do you own? Are they thrown all over the closet floor? How long does it take you to find a match to one of them? Bed Bath and Beyond has a $9.99 flip flop organizer that holds 6 pairs of flip flops and hangs nicely in your closet. This is a must-have if you have more than 5 pairs of flip flops. I’ve purchased these for my clients and they work great!
You love your scarves, but it takes you forever to locate one and you have to throw 5 around to find the one you are searching for. Use a scarf organizer and you will be able to see all your scarves and find them at a moment’s notice. Bed Bath and Beyond has a few different types of scarf organizers, including this one for $9.99.
Did you know people who didn’t own shoe racks were 7 times more likely to show up late for an event? Are your shoes in piles on the floor? Get them off the floor and contain them in a shoe rack. There are many options out there, like this one from Bed Bath and Beyond. Choose the shoe rack that is going to fit what you need to hold and fit in the space you are working with.
How are you storing your handbags? Are they stored all over your closet? Are they in bins or crumpled up on the floor? It’s time to organize your bags. There are many options depending on the space you are working with. You can stand them up on a shelf, you can hang them, or if they are small, you can store them in a canvas bin. The choice is yours. Think about how you function and develop a system from there.
Baseball cap organizer
How many baseball caps do you own? How are they organized in your closet now, and how long does it take you to find one? The Container Store (pictured here), Bed Bath and Beyond, and other stores sell this baseball cap organizer. I have a few clients that have purchased them and they love them!
Function over flash
There are many variations on these products. Choose the product that is right for you. There are some organizing products I would never use, but other people might choose to use them. Choose the one that is going to be the most efficient and productive product for you and your family. Don’t choose a product because it’s pretty, choose it based on functionality. Search online for different products before you rush out and purchase a product. You may find that one store is more expensive than another. Don’t forget if you are going to Bed Bath and Beyond to use their 20% off coupons. If you don’t want to purchase these items, get creative and re-purpose items around the home, or make your own!
Kristin Carcieri-MacRae, the founder and owner of Organizing in RI, has always enjoyed finding creative ways to streamline the environment around her. She has appeared on air on Patricia Raskin's Positive Business Radio and her articles have been published in the Rhode Island Small Business Journal and New England Home Life. Kristin's CD, Organizing Basics, is a 1-hour guide for the person who wants to get organized but doesn't know where to start. She is also available for organizing workshops. Tune into her weekly radio show, Organize, Energize! on Mondays at 8:30am on www.talkstreamradio.com.
- Organize + Energize: 6 Tips to Organize Kid’s Toys Before The Holidays
- Organize + Energize: Plan & Prepare This Holiday Season
- Organize + Energize: 2016 Year in Review
- Organize + Energize: 9 Reasons You Need to get Organized Now!
- Organize + Energize: 4 Spaces to Declutter This Month
- Organize + Energize: Tips for Organizing Holiday Decorations
- Organize + Energize: 8 Ways to Organize Your Email Inbox
- Organize + Energize: Give Experiences Instead of Things This Holiday Season
- GoLocalTV: Jackson Recall Organizers Make Case for Signatures on Election Day
- Organize + Energize: 5 Ways to Survive the Holidays
- Organize + Energize: Simplify Your Laundry Routine
- Organize + Energize: How Much do You Need to be Happy?
- Organize + Energize: Is Your Nightstand Giving you Nightmares?
- Organize + Energize: 4 Areas to Declutter in March
- LIVE: Six Ways Being Organized Can Help You Lose Weight
- Organize + Energize: 3 Ways Being Organized Will Help You Become More Efficient & Productive!
- Organize + Energize: 4 Reasons People Let Paper Piles Form
- Organize + Energize: 4 Things to Remember When Organizing Your Basement
- Organize + Energize: 6 Ways to Stay Focused at Work
- LIVE: Organize and Energize - Make Life Less Chaotic
- Organize + Energize: Organizing Your Memorabilia
- Organize + Energize: 4 Areas to Declutter This Month
- Organize + Energize: 7 Ways to Find More Time in Your Day
- Organize + Energize: 8 Things Not to do When Packing for Vacation
- Organize + Energize: 4 Spaces to Declutter in April