Organize + Energize: How Bad do You Want it?
Tuesday, June 27, 2017
Here are 6 things you need to do to get ready to change:
You have to be ready. Just like with anything else, you have to be ready to commit. Get your head in the game. Get energized and excited to begin this new chapter.
Create a vision. Just as you would use a food or workout journal, use a journal for this process. Walk through your home and stop at the doorway in each room. Jot down what you see and what you want to change. Sometimes when you live in the space, the clutter and disorganization blend in the space and you don’t see it anymore. Consciously look around the room and write down how it makes you feel and what you want it to become. Just brain dump and write everything you’re feeling.
Declutter. Make a plan to start decluttering areas in your home. You can’t move forward with being organized until you declutter your entire home. Just like when you’re losing weight, the weight doesn’t come off over night. Getting organized is a process and one of the first steps is decluttering.
Organize. To make this process easier for you, once you’ve decluttered, then you can go back and start getting organized. Create the systems based on how you function. Think about efficiency and productivity.
Get everybody involved. When you’re trying to lose weight or get in shape, you need a support system to help you through the process. Get everybody in your house involved in this process. Have a family meeting to discuss what is happening in the home and how it’s going to benefit everybody.
Maintenance. When you hit your weight loss goal, you start working in maintenance mode. Same goes for getting organized. Once you’ve decluttered and become organized, now it’s time to maintain. You know how difficult it is to maintain weight loss and staying motivated to exercise. The same goes for maintaining your organization.
Nobody said it was going to be easy, but practicing maintaining your organization every day will turn into a way of life, just like living a healthy lifestyle. Being organized also helps with living a healthy lifestyle. It reduces stress, you’ll be more efficient and productive and you’ll save time and money. Bring passion and enthusiasm to this new lifestyle of being organized.
Related Slideshow: Organizing Products For Your Closet
Flip flop organizer
How many flip flops do you own? Are they thrown all over the closet floor? How long does it take you to find a match to one of them? Bed Bath and Beyond has a $9.99 flip flop organizer that holds 6 pairs of flip flops and hangs nicely in your closet. This is a must-have if you have more than 5 pairs of flip flops. I’ve purchased these for my clients and they work great!
You love your scarves, but it takes you forever to locate one and you have to throw 5 around to find the one you are searching for. Use a scarf organizer and you will be able to see all your scarves and find them at a moment’s notice. Bed Bath and Beyond has a few different types of scarf organizers, including this one for $9.99.
Did you know people who didn’t own shoe racks were 7 times more likely to show up late for an event? Are your shoes in piles on the floor? Get them off the floor and contain them in a shoe rack. There are many options out there, like this one from Bed Bath and Beyond. Choose the shoe rack that is going to fit what you need to hold and fit in the space you are working with.
How are you storing your handbags? Are they stored all over your closet? Are they in bins or crumpled up on the floor? It’s time to organize your bags. There are many options depending on the space you are working with. You can stand them up on a shelf, you can hang them, or if they are small, you can store them in a canvas bin. The choice is yours. Think about how you function and develop a system from there.
Baseball cap organizer
How many baseball caps do you own? How are they organized in your closet now, and how long does it take you to find one? The Container Store (pictured here), Bed Bath and Beyond, and other stores sell this baseball cap organizer. I have a few clients that have purchased them and they love them!
Function over flash
There are many variations on these products. Choose the product that is right for you. There are some organizing products I would never use, but other people might choose to use them. Choose the one that is going to be the most efficient and productive product for you and your family. Don’t choose a product because it’s pretty, choose it based on functionality. Search online for different products before you rush out and purchase a product. You may find that one store is more expensive than another. Don’t forget if you are going to Bed Bath and Beyond to use their 20% off coupons. If you don’t want to purchase these items, get creative and re-purpose items around the home, or make your own!
Kristin Carcieri-MacRae, the founder and owner of Organizing in RI, has always enjoyed finding creative ways to streamline the environment around her. She has appeared on air on Patricia Raskin's Positive Business Radio and her articles have been published in the Rhode Island Small Business Journal and New England Home Life. Kristin's CD, Organizing Basics, is a 1-hour guide for the person who wants to get organized but doesn't know where to start. She is also available for organizing workshops. Tune into her weekly radio show, Organize, Energize! on Mondays at 8:30am on www.talkstreamradio.com.
- Organize + Energize: 4 Things to Remember When Organizing Your Basement
- Organize + Energize: 4 Reasons People Let Paper Piles Form
- Organize + Energize: 4 Spaces to Declutter in April
- Organize + Energize: Mice and Clutter!
- Organize + Energize: 5 Reasons You Need to Organize Your Garage
- Organize + Energize: 3 Ways Being Organized Will Help You Become More Efficient & Productive!
- Organize + Energize: 4 Areas to Declutter in March
- Organize + Energize: 8 Things Not to do When Packing for Vacation
- LIVE: Organize and Energize - Make Life Less Chaotic
- Organize + Energize: 6 Ways to Stay Focused at Work
- LIVE: Six Ways Being Organized Can Help You Lose Weight
- Organize + Energize: Organize a First-Aid Kit
- LIVE: Four Areas To Organize With Your Kids
- Organize + Energize: 4 Spaces to Declutter in June
- LIVE: Four Systems to Get Organized In Your Office
- LIVE: Four Office Systems To Organize
- Organize + Energize: 6 Things to do to Prepare for Your Move
- Republican Organizer Vargas on Providence Politics, Newport Senate Race, and More
- Organize + Energize: 7 Ways to Avoid Distractions & Stay Focused
- RI Young Dem’s 17 Year-Old “Organizer of the Year” Planning Run in 2018
- Organize + Energize: 4 Areas to Declutter in May
- Organize + Energize: 9 Things to Remember When Purchasing Organizing Supplies
- Organize + Energize: Creating Systems in the Home
- Organize + Energize: Disorganized Offices. What’s in Yours?
- Organize + Energize: 6 Reasons You Can’t Get Rid of Your Paper Clutter