slides: Organize + Energize: 8 Ways to Get More Time In Your Day
Tuesday, September 17, 2013
Here are 8 tips to get you started in the process.
Keep like items together and categorized.
Don’t have like items scattered all over your home. No time will be wasted trying to remember where items are located. You will save money because you won’t be purchasing duplicate items. If you can’t find something, what happens? You buy another just like it only to find it hiding in a drawer months later.
Organize your closets.
Go through your closets every season. Take everything out of the space you are organizing. You won’t know what is hiding in the back of your closet until you take everything out and evaluate what you own. You also can’t get a clear vision of the space if it is cluttered. Once the space is empty, you can create a vision of what you want to get out of your space and how you want to function in it. Every item in your closet should have a home. To read more about organizing your closets, go here.
Organize your kitchen.
Hundreds of dollars are wasted when a kitchen is disorganized. Garbage bags full of expired food are thrown away. Get organized and stop throwing money away. To read more about organizing your kitchen, go here.
And for more info on a great kitchen organization event at the North Smithfield Library on September 25th, click here.
Organize your bedroom.
Your bedroom should be the most serene, calming, and peaceful room in your home. Clutter and disorganization is the last thing you want to see before you go to sleep. Do you want it to be the first thing you see when you awake in the morning? To read more about bedroom organization, go here.
Have a filing system for your bills and important papers.
Paper management is the #1 issue people have difficulty with when it comes to getting organized. Handle your mail right away. Toss, shred, file, keep or attach to your to-do list. It’s easier to spend five minutes with getting order back as opposed to spending hours on it months later. Create a filing system for important papers, bills, tax information, etc. To read more about handling your mail, go here.
Start with a small project like organizing a drawer. You can’t jump into a big organizing project if you can’t organize a drawer. Limit your project to 3 hours. I find that any more than 3 hours and people get overwhelmed, tired, hungry, and they lose focus. Focus and limit your distractions while you are organizing. Don’t leave the area you are organizing because you will get distracted and your project will take longer than planned.
Kristin Carcieri-MacRae, the founder and owner of Organizing in RI, has always enjoyed finding creative ways to streamline the environment around her. Kristin has appeared on air on www.talkstreamradio.com and Patricia Raskin's Positive Business Radio. Her articles have been published in the Rhode Island Small Business Journal and New England Home Life. Her CD, Organizing Basics, is a 1-hour guide for the person who wants to get organized but doesn't know where to start and is available at the following locations listed here. She is also available for organizing workshops.
- Back To School Organize + Energize: Creating Homework Spaces
- Organize + Energize: 5 Ways To Get More Free Time
- Organize + Energize: Back To School Family Calendar Ideas
- Back To School Organize + Energize: Managing Family Paperwork
- Organize + Energize: 7 Tips On Clearing Mental Clutter
- Organize + Energize: Be Ready For Emergencies
- Organize + Energize: 10 Steps To An Organized Garage
- Organize + Energize: 7 Ways To Maximize Your Space
- Organize + Energize: Getting Rid Of All That Stuff
- Organize + Energize: 10 Steps To An Organized Linen Closet
- Organize + Energize: 7 Ways To Organize Your Makeup
- Organize + Energize: Organize Your Kids
- Organize + Energize: 10 Steps To Organizing Your Office
- Organize + Energize: 8 Steps For Organizing Your Home Office
- Organize + Energize: Smart Packing For Spring Travel
- Organize + Energize: 10 Steps To a Clutter-Free Bedroom
- Organize + Energize: 8 Ways To Keep Clutter Out Of Your Kitchen
- Organize + Energize: Spring Cleaning + Your Medicine Cabinet
- Organize + Energize: 10 Ways To Have The Best Yard Sale Ever
- Organize + Energize: 8 Ways To Stay Organized For Summer Outings
- Organize + Energize: Tame Your Gym Bag Now
- Back To School Organize + Energize: 5 Ways To Make Mornings Easier
- Organize + Energize: 5 Tips For Easier Back To School Shopping
- Organize + Energize: 9 Ways to Save Money + Time At The Market
- Organize + Energize: The Power of a Closet Purge