Organize + Energize: 7 Ways To Maximize Your Space
Tuesday, April 30, 2013
Here are 7 tips to get creative with your space.
1. If you have been following my articles, you know the first thing I am going to say. Yes, take everything out of the space you want to organize.
You can't get a clear vision of the space if there is clutter in the way.
2. Organizing is like a puzzle.
If you have a challenging space, you have to utilize every inch of space, and use it well. Maximize and you will get the most of your space.
3. Look at empty wall space, under cabinets, under the bed, basement, tops of closets, etc., as a way to store items.
You really have to get creative. We have a very tiny kitchen and I don't like to clutter counter tops. I didn't want to store my microwave on the counter. We had empty wall space and behind it was a closet. I had my husband cut out a square in the wall and now the microwave sits nicely in that area. I'm not saying you have to cut through walls, but you really have to have a vision outside of the box.
4. Contain items and keep like items together.
When items are contained, it allows for better use of space. Don’t just throw items in your linen closet. Keep them categorized, organized in contained bins. It will allow for better use of space.
5. Do you really need everything that is stored in the area you are organizing?
Can you shift items to another area in the home?
6. Bring in a professional organizer to help with the process.
Bringing in an organizer who is not in your home every day will have a different vision than what you look at every day.
7. There are so many great and unique organizing products out there today.
Figure out what type of containers you need before you head to the store. Choose the one that will best allow you to maximize the space you have.
People who have small spaces tend to envy people with large spaces. I find that people who have lots of space are not utilizing it correctly. People feel because the space is there they have to fill it. Areas get utilized as drop zones and items get thrown into cabinets with no organization. Organize your large spaces and you will have even more space than you think you have.
You will save money by not having to add that addition on to your home just because you ran out of room to store your belongings.
Organizing in RI, has always enjoyed finding creative ways to streamline the environment around her. Kristin spent several years working in retail management, medical offices, and was even a successful certified personal trainer for 4 years. She discovered that in each of these fields she had a natural ability to streamline spaces and processes. Through her organizing ability and her passion for motivating others to achieve their goals, Kristin created Organizing in RI. Kristin has appeared on air on www.talkstreamradio.com and Patricia Raskin's Positive Business Radio. Her articles have been published in the Rhode Island Small Business Journal and New England Home Life. She is also available for organizing workshops.
- Organize + Energize: 10 Steps To Organizing Your Office
- Organize + Energize: Be Ready For Emergencies
- Organize + Energize: 10 Ways To Organize Your Kids’ Clothing
- Organize + Energize: Organize Your Kids
- Organize + Energize: 10 Ways To Stay On Top Of Your Mail
- Organize + Energize: 4 Steps To Combat Mental Overload
- Organize + Energize: 7 Ways To Organize Your Makeup
- Organize + Energize: 7 Ways To Save Time
- Organize + Energize: 8 Ways To Organize Your Pets
- Organize + Energize: 9 Ways To Get The Most Out of Containers