Organize + Energize: 5 Reasons You Need to Organize Your Garage
Tuesday, April 18, 2017
The garage, like the basement, is another empty spot just waiting to get filled with stuff. You may be organizing the house and don’t know where to put something, so it gets thrown in the garage. Before you know it, the place where you used to park your car is now filled with clutter.
Spring is a great time of year to tackle this project. If there are other people who utilize the garage, enlist everybody that has contributed to the clutter and have them help on the day of this project.
Here are 5 reasons you need to organize your garage.
Critters. When there is clutter, there will be critters roaming around. Throw on some gloves and start digging into this space. Be prepared to clean up some critter droppings. You may even find a little one or two. Get this space organized, and items onto shelves and in the future, you’ll be able to see who’s coming in and out of your garage.
You’ll find surprises. You’re going to find things you were looking for and things you forgot you had! You may find items that you were looking for at some point but couldn’t find them so you went out and purchased duplicate items. You’ll have fun uncovering these little surprises.
There are things you haven’t touched in years. When was the last time you actually emptied your entire garage? It’s time to take inventory of what is actually being stored in here. How much of it are you actually using? What can get tossed? You’ll feel a hundred pounds lighter when you’re through.
It’s the perfect time of year. It’s not too hot or too cold here in New England this time of year. It’s a great time to get this project tackled. Next winter, you’ll be able to park your car in the garage during that big snowstorm. Mark your calendar and get this project taken care of before it gets too warm.
Make your neighbors jealous. There’s going to be a lot of commotion going on in the garage. Your neighbors are going to wonder what is going on in there. Once they see your beautifully organized garage, they are going to be green with envy and hopefully it will push them to get their garage in shape too!
Now that you have this newly organized garage, be mindful before you start throwing items in here. Think about what you would do with these items if you didn’t have a garage. This is one project that you don’t want to tackle every year. If you keep it organized, this may be one of those spaces that you only need to touch once every 5 years! Sounds good, right?
Related Slideshow: Organizing Products For Your Closet
Flip flop organizer
How many flip flops do you own? Are they thrown all over the closet floor? How long does it take you to find a match to one of them? Bed Bath and Beyond has a $9.99 flip flop organizer that holds 6 pairs of flip flops and hangs nicely in your closet. This is a must-have if you have more than 5 pairs of flip flops. I’ve purchased these for my clients and they work great!
You love your scarves, but it takes you forever to locate one and you have to throw 5 around to find the one you are searching for. Use a scarf organizer and you will be able to see all your scarves and find them at a moment’s notice. Bed Bath and Beyond has a few different types of scarf organizers, including this one for $9.99.
Did you know people who didn’t own shoe racks were 7 times more likely to show up late for an event? Are your shoes in piles on the floor? Get them off the floor and contain them in a shoe rack. There are many options out there, like this one from Bed Bath and Beyond. Choose the shoe rack that is going to fit what you need to hold and fit in the space you are working with.
How are you storing your handbags? Are they stored all over your closet? Are they in bins or crumpled up on the floor? It’s time to organize your bags. There are many options depending on the space you are working with. You can stand them up on a shelf, you can hang them, or if they are small, you can store them in a canvas bin. The choice is yours. Think about how you function and develop a system from there.
Baseball cap organizer
How many baseball caps do you own? How are they organized in your closet now, and how long does it take you to find one? The Container Store (pictured here), Bed Bath and Beyond, and other stores sell this baseball cap organizer. I have a few clients that have purchased them and they love them!
Function over flash
There are many variations on these products. Choose the product that is right for you. There are some organizing products I would never use, but other people might choose to use them. Choose the one that is going to be the most efficient and productive product for you and your family. Don’t choose a product because it’s pretty, choose it based on functionality. Search online for different products before you rush out and purchase a product. You may find that one store is more expensive than another. Don’t forget if you are going to Bed Bath and Beyond to use their 20% off coupons. If you don’t want to purchase these items, get creative and re-purpose items around the home, or make your own!
Kristin Carcieri-MacRae, the founder and owner of Organizing in RI, has always enjoyed finding creative ways to streamline the environment around her. She has appeared on air on Patricia Raskin's Positive Business Radio and her articles have been published in the Rhode Island Small Business Journal and New England Home Life. Kristin's CD, Organizing Basics, is a 1-hour guide for the person who wants to get organized but doesn't know where to start. She is also available for organizing workshops. Tune into her weekly radio show, Organize, Energize! on Mondays at 8:30am on www.talkstreamradio.com.
- Organize + Energize: 2016 Year in Review
- Organize + Energize: 6 Tips to Organize Kid’s Toys Before The Holidays
- Organize + Energize: 9 Reasons You Need to get Organized Now!
- Organize + Energize: 4 Spaces to Declutter This Month
- Organize + Energize: How Much do You Need to be Happy?
- Organize + Energize: Plan & Prepare This Holiday Season
- Organize + Energize: Tips for Organizing Holiday Decorations
- GoLocalTV: Jackson Recall Organizers Make Case for Signatures on Election Day
- Organize + Energize: 5 Ways to Survive the Holidays
- Organize + Energize: Simplify Your Laundry Routine
- Organize + Energize: 8 Ways to Organize Your Email Inbox
- Organize + Energize: Is Your Nightstand Giving you Nightmares?
- Organize + Energize: Organizing Your Memorabilia
- Organize + Energize: 3 Ways Being Organized Will Help You Become More Efficient & Productive!
- Organize + Energize: 4 Areas to Declutter in March
- Organize + Energize: 4 Reasons People Let Paper Piles Form
- Organize + Energize: 4 Things to Remember When Organizing Your Basement
- Organize + Energize: 4 Spaces to Declutter in April
- LIVE: Six Ways Being Organized Can Help You Lose Weight
- Organize + Energize: 6 Ways to Stay Focused at Work
- Organize + Energize: 4 Areas to Declutter This Month
- Organize + Energize: 7 Ways to Find More Time in Your Day
- Organize + Energize: 8 Things Not to do When Packing for Vacation
- LIVE: Organize and Energize - Make Life Less Chaotic
- Organize + Energize: Mice and Clutter!