Organize + Energize: 4 Spaces to Declutter in June
Tuesday, June 06, 2017
If you don’t have a garage or kids, you get off easy this month! If you don’t have kids, but you have a garage, this is going to be your project this month.
Here are 4 spaces to declutter this month:
The garage. Aside from the basement, this is probably on the bottom of the list of favorite things to declutter and organize. It’s a mosh pit of random items, tools, paints, outdoor items, and anything else you want to name. You name it, it’s probably in there. Thinking about the winter and not being able to park your car in there when it snows may give you some motivation to tackle this project. Just dive in and do it! You’ll feel like a million bucks after it’s done.
Kids books. It’s summer and the kids are home. Let them help you for these next areas. If they’ve outgrown books and you want to keep them for sentimental reasons, that’s ok, but they don’t need to live in their everyday spaces. Pack them in seal tight bins and store them away.
Kids toys. Again, enlist them in the process. What are they playing with, are there pieces missing, or have they outgrown them? Categorize, organize, and store them in an area where everybody is aware of the system.
Kids clothes. When was the last time you took inventory of your child’s clothes closet and bureaus? The fewer decisions your kids have to make in the morning when getting ready, the smoother their day will go. How many clothes are they touching that don’t fit before they find an item they want to wear? Think about efficiency in the morning. How many clothes are they throwing on the floor because they don’t fit and then it’s a big task to put everything back in the closet? Something to think about.
If you want to make a family event out of decluttering and organizing the garage, it will make the project go quicker! Organize the event. Give everybody a list of things they are responsible to do and limit distractions and stay focused. Get the kids involved in decluttering their rooms after school ends so their rooms will be ready for the back to school season!
Related Slideshow: Organizing Products For Your Closet
Flip flop organizer
How many flip flops do you own? Are they thrown all over the closet floor? How long does it take you to find a match to one of them? Bed Bath and Beyond has a $9.99 flip flop organizer that holds 6 pairs of flip flops and hangs nicely in your closet. This is a must-have if you have more than 5 pairs of flip flops. I’ve purchased these for my clients and they work great!
You love your scarves, but it takes you forever to locate one and you have to throw 5 around to find the one you are searching for. Use a scarf organizer and you will be able to see all your scarves and find them at a moment’s notice. Bed Bath and Beyond has a few different types of scarf organizers, including this one for $9.99.
Did you know people who didn’t own shoe racks were 7 times more likely to show up late for an event? Are your shoes in piles on the floor? Get them off the floor and contain them in a shoe rack. There are many options out there, like this one from Bed Bath and Beyond. Choose the shoe rack that is going to fit what you need to hold and fit in the space you are working with.
How are you storing your handbags? Are they stored all over your closet? Are they in bins or crumpled up on the floor? It’s time to organize your bags. There are many options depending on the space you are working with. You can stand them up on a shelf, you can hang them, or if they are small, you can store them in a canvas bin. The choice is yours. Think about how you function and develop a system from there.
Baseball cap organizer
How many baseball caps do you own? How are they organized in your closet now, and how long does it take you to find one? The Container Store (pictured here), Bed Bath and Beyond, and other stores sell this baseball cap organizer. I have a few clients that have purchased them and they love them!
Function over flash
There are many variations on these products. Choose the product that is right for you. There are some organizing products I would never use, but other people might choose to use them. Choose the one that is going to be the most efficient and productive product for you and your family. Don’t choose a product because it’s pretty, choose it based on functionality. Search online for different products before you rush out and purchase a product. You may find that one store is more expensive than another. Don’t forget if you are going to Bed Bath and Beyond to use their 20% off coupons. If you don’t want to purchase these items, get creative and re-purpose items around the home, or make your own!
Kristin Carcieri-MacRae, the founder and owner of Organizing in RI, has always enjoyed finding creative ways to streamline the environment around her. She has appeared on air on Patricia Raskin's Positive Business Radio and her articles have been published in the Rhode Island Small Business Journal and New England Home Life. Kristin's CD, Organizing Basics, is a 1-hour guide for the person who wants to get organized but doesn't know where to start. She is also available for organizing workshops. Tune into her weekly radio show, Organize, Energize! on Mondays at 8:30am on www.talkstreamradio.com.
- Organize + Energize: 6 Ways to Stay Focused at Work
- LIVE: Organize and Energize - Make Life Less Chaotic
- LIVE: Six Ways Being Organized Can Help You Lose Weight
- Organize + Energize: 4 Areas to Declutter in March
- Organize + Energize: 3 Ways Being Organized Will Help You Become More Efficient & Productive!
- Organize + Energize: 8 Things Not to do When Packing for Vacation
- Organize + Energize: 7 Ways to Find More Time in Your Day
- Organize + Energize: How Much do You Need to be Happy?
- Organize + Energize: Is Your Nightstand Giving you Nightmares?
- Organize + Energize: Organizing Your Memorabilia
- Organize + Energize: 4 Areas to Declutter This Month
- Organize + Energize: 4 Reasons People Let Paper Piles Form
- Organize + Energize: 4 Things to Remember When Organizing Your Basement
- Organize + Energize: Creating Systems in the Home
- Organize + Energize: 9 Things to Remember When Purchasing Organizing Supplies
- Organize + Energize: Disorganized Offices. What’s in Yours?
- RI Young Dem’s 17 Year-Old “Organizer of the Year” Planning Run in 2018
- Organize + Energize: 7 Ways to Avoid Distractions & Stay Focused
- Organize + Energize: 4 Areas to Declutter in May
- LIVE: Four Areas To Organize With Your Kids
- Organize + Energize: 4 Spaces to Declutter in April
- Organize + Energize: Mice and Clutter!
- Organize + Energize: 5 Reasons You Need to Organize Your Garage
- Organize + Energize: Organize a First-Aid Kit
- LIVE: Four Systems to Get Organized In Your Office