Newport Named Top Beach Town in America
Saturday, June 25, 2011
Travel that is, which has just named Newport as one of its Great American Beach Towns for 2011.
"We want close. We want old-fashioned," writes Sarah Tuff at the popular online travel site. "We want a town where we can park the car, drag a beach chair and a book to the sand, and then shuffle down the boardwalk in our flip-flops for fried clams and an icy-cold can of beer..."
Flip-flops and fried clams
Well, there may not be a boardwalk, but there sure are other gifts in Rhode Island's well-loved summer getaway. Yahoo gives Newport point for beaches for every budget, "from exclusive clubs to free, secluded spots," writes Tuff, who also calls First Beach "the classic Americana spot." Yahoo also points out that the west end of exclusive, private Bailey's Beach is open to the public, with no fee for parking.
"Spend your cash instead on a platter of fried clams from Flo's Clam Shack," she says. Nice advice.
For the entire list of Great American Beach Towns, go here.
- Five Things: The White Horse Tavern, Newport
- Newport Beach Makes T+L Top List
- The Vanderbilt Grace Opens in Newport
- FIve Things: The Fifth Element, Newport
- Newport Folk Festival Announces 2011 Line-Up
- Trender: newportFILM Founder Andrea van Beuren
- Five Things: Fluke, Newport
- Newport Milliner Lisa Stubbs and the Perfect English Hat
- Vietnam Memorial Designer Maya Lin to Design Newport Project
- Five Things: La Forge Casino, Newport
- Newport Preservation Society To Unveil Bellevue Avenue History Trail
- Five Things: Spark, Newport
- Newport Restoration Foundation Receives National Award
- Five Things: Tallulah on Thames, Newport
- Newport Summer Comedy Series 2011
- Jamie Cullum at CareFusion Newport Jazz Festival
- Preservation Society Receives Grant to Study Historic Newport House
- Brewing Up a Storm in Newport
- Irish Cookbook Author and TV Chef Rachel Allen Coming to Newport
- Rocking The Preppy at Newport’s Chace N’ Lulu Boutique