Newport Named Top Beach Town in America
Saturday, June 25, 2011
Travel that is, which has just named Newport as one of its Great American Beach Towns for 2011.
"We want close. We want old-fashioned," writes Sarah Tuff at the popular online travel site. "We want a town where we can park the car, drag a beach chair and a book to the sand, and then shuffle down the boardwalk in our flip-flops for fried clams and an icy-cold can of beer..."
Flip-flops and fried clams
Well, there may not be a boardwalk, but there sure are other gifts in Rhode Island's well-loved summer getaway. Yahoo gives Newport point for beaches for every budget, "from exclusive clubs to free, secluded spots," writes Tuff, who also calls First Beach "the classic Americana spot." Yahoo also points out that the west end of exclusive, private Bailey's Beach is open to the public, with no fee for parking.
"Spend your cash instead on a platter of fried clams from Flo's Clam Shack," she says. Nice advice.
For the entire list of Great American Beach Towns, go here.
- Brewing Up a Storm in Newport
- Five Things: The White Horse Tavern, Newport
- FIve Things: The Fifth Element, Newport
- Five Things: Fluke, Newport
- Five Things: La Forge Casino, Newport
- Five Things: Spark, Newport
- Five Things: Tallulah on Thames, Newport
- Jamie Cullum at CareFusion Newport Jazz Festival
- Irish Cookbook Author and TV Chef Rachel Allen Coming to Newport
- Newport Beach Makes T+L Top List
- Newport Folk Festival Announces 2011 Line-Up
- Newport Milliner Lisa Stubbs and the Perfect English Hat
- Newport Preservation Society To Unveil Bellevue Avenue History Trail
- Newport Restoration Foundation Receives National Award
- Newport Summer Comedy Series 2011
- Preservation Society Receives Grant to Study Historic Newport House
- Rocking The Preppy at Newport’s Chace N’ Lulu Boutique
- The Vanderbilt Grace Opens in Newport
- Trender: newportFILM Founder Andrea van Beuren
- Vietnam Memorial Designer Maya Lin to Design Newport Project