Metheny, James to Play Newport Jazz Festival’s Friday Night Concert
Wednesday, February 07, 2018
The show begins with a cocktail party at 6:30 p.m. and the concert at 8 p.m.
"Pat Metheny is someone I first admired from afar, then wound up having the privilege of working with over the last 25 years. I consider him a true friend, a mentor and a constant source of inspiration, on and offstage. Every time he makes music, the world listens. It's an honor to have him at Newport Jazz Festival this year,” said Artistic Director Christian McBride.
On James, McBride added, "I first met and worked with Josè James 10 years ago. I was the musical director for a Marvin Gaye tribute. I didn't know who he was then, but a number of musicians I respect told me I should hook up with him because he was a star in the making. They couldn't have been more correct. Josè has become one of the major voices of this generation and I can't wait to see and hear him wow the audience at Newport again."
Tickets go on sale on Thursday, February 8 at 10 a.m.
In his career, Metheny has three gold albums and 20 Grammy Awards and is the only person to win Grammys in ten different categories.
He is the leader of the Pat Metheny Group, but is also involved in duets, solo work, and various other side projects.
James is an American vocalist known for performing and blending modern jazz and hip-hop.
James performs all over the world both as a bandleader and with other groups.
James released his seventh studio album titled “Love in a Time of Madness” in 2017.
His hit singles include “Blackeyedsusan,” “Warrior” and “Blackmagic.”
First Wave of Artists
The Jazz Festival has already announced the first wave of artists that are set to perform.
The second wave of artists will be announced soon.
See the First Wave Below:
Friday, August 3, 2018 - Fort Adams State Park
- Living Colour
- Sangam with Zakir Hussain and Eric Harland
- Rudresh Mahanthappa Indo-Pak Coalition
- Michel Camilo
- Matthew Shipp Trio
Saturday, August 4, 2018 - Fort Adams State Park
- Andra Day
- Charles Lloyd New Quartet with Jason Moran, Reuben Rogers, and Eric Harland
Sunday, August 5, 2018 - Fort Adams State Park
- Artemis featuring Cécile McLorin Salvant, Renee Rosnes, Anat Cohen, Melissa Aldana, Ingrid Jensen, Noriko Ueda & Allison Miller
- Charles Lloyd & Friends featuring Lucinda Williams with Jason Moran, Marvin Sewell, Stuart Mathis, Reuben Rogers and Eric Harland
- Mary Halvorson's Code Girl
- Jazzmeia Horn
Newport Jazz Festival
The 2018 Newport Jazz Festival will run from August 3 to August 5 at Fort Adams State Park and the International Tennis Hall of Fame.
Tickets are on sale now.
2017 Newport Jazz Festival - Friday Highlights
The 2017 Newport Jazz Festival kicked of its weekend of smooth music at Fort Adams State Park yesterday.
- 2016 Newport Jazz Festival in Pictures
- 10 Don’t Miss Acts at 2016 Newport Jazz
- Newport Jazz Fest 2016 Brings in Over 24,000 Fans
- Newport Jazz Fest Flex Tickets on Sale
- Newport Jazz Festival Unveils Part of 2017 Lineup
- Newport Jazz Festival Awarded $100,000 Leadership Grant
- Newport Jazz Fest Announces Opening Night Performers
- Newport Jazz Festival Releases 2016 Summer Line-Up
- Norah Jones to Play Both Newport Jazz & Folk Festivals
- NEW: Christian McBride Named Artistic Director of Newport Jazz Festival
- Newport Jazz Festival Unveils 2nd Part of 2017 Lineup
- Newport Jazz Festival Announces 3rd Part of 2017 Lineup
- 2017 Newport Jazz Festival - Friday Highlights
- LIVE: DJ Logic Brings Project Logic to Newport Jazz Festival
- 2017 Newport Jazz Festival - Saturday Highlights
- 2017 Newport Jazz Festival - Sunday Highlights
- Newport Jazz Festival Announces First Wave of Artists for 2018 Festival
- See Who is Performing at the 2017 Newport Jazz Festival
- LIVE: Jazz Pianist Marilyn Crispell, Solo Performance at Newport Jazz Fest
- Newport Jazz Festival Announces 4th Part of 2017 Lineup
- Hamilton Star Odom Jr. Coming to Newport Jazz Festival
- Newport Jazz Fest Offering Discounted Tickets for Local Residents Through July 4
- LIVE: Composer, Pianist and Bandleader Burton Talks Newport Jazz Festival