NEW: RISD Named #1 Design School in the World—Business Insider
Wednesday, November 28, 2012
According to their site, Business Insider's rating is based on a simple and pragmatic survey that asked product designers, art directors and others how valuable each design school's program really is. 85.1% of respondents agreed that RISD's programs are top notch as we enter "the golden age of design in startups," where highly skilled creatives specializing in product design and UI are critical.
RISD: Spawning design-driven companies
Among the design-driven companies Business Insider cites as "leading the charge" in this new era is Airbnb - founded and run by alumni Brian Chesky (RISD 2004 ID) and Joe Gebbia (RISD 2005 ID/GD), who recently became a RISD trustee. Other leading companies noted for their commitment to design were Apple, Pinterest and Square.
"Acknowledgement of RISD's emphasis on 'artrepreneurship' from the technology and business world is great news for all of us who love this iconic institution," said RISD Board Chair Michael Spalter.
"Art and design will drive innovation in the 21st century like science and technology did in the last century," said RISD President John Maeda. "This Business Insider ranking is a testament to RISD's work to prepare students for success in a wide array of fields, and recognition that now, more than ever, design-focused organizations are disrupting industries and sparking innovation."
Putting the "A" in STEM
As President Maeda often talks about, America is investing in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) education to ensure a prosperous future - but a growing movement led by RISD is arguing that we need the "A" for Art to turn STEM to STEAM to keep our country competitive. More information about this movement can be found at stemtosteam.org.
Business Insider technology and startup reporter Megan Rose Dickey explained the rationale for the survey in her article: "What companies [like Apple, Path, and Airbnb] have in common is that design is at the core of their businesses. But which school is best suited to get you the design job you want?"
- NEW: RISD Library Named Most Beautiful in US—Travel + Leisure
- RISD Named One Of The Most Expensive Schools In The US
- NEW: RISD Alum Seth MacFarlane To Host 85th Oscars
- RISD Partners with State Dept. To Create Art for Moroccan Embassy
- RISD Students Design “Snapshot” Device for Progressive Insurance
- RISD Student Stages Art with Endangered Providence Building
- NEW: Brown, RISD Ranked Top Student Choice Colleges by Parchment
- RISD Students Open Innovative Retail Space in Downcity
- NEW: RISD Named 3rd Most Fashionable College in the US
- NEW: RISD Students Go to NYC for Fashion Challenge with Candy
- NEW: RISD Extends President Maeda’s Contract