NEW: Brown, URI Named Top 10 Colleges for Marijuana Activism
Saturday, August 18, 2012
"With medical cannabis laws spreading rapidly nationwide, and full legalization on the ballot in three states (Colorado, Washington, and Oregon) this November, students have been playing a vital role in ending the War on Pot," wrote Bean, the Senior Editor at HIGH TIMES and author of The Official High Times Pot Smoker's Handbook (Featuring 420 Things To Do When You're Stoned). "Naturally, we’re happy to highlight their accomplishments and encourage their ongoing efforts."
Brown University: The Top 5
Brown placed #4 for 2012, behind several New England colleges and a consortium of Oregon colleges. The University of Connecticut (Storrs) took the top spot in the new ranking, followed by Northeastern University at the #2 spot. At #3, HIGH TIMES named a coalition of Students for Sensible Drug Policy (SSDP) chapters from 8 Oregon colleges that hosted a Cannabis Law Reform Conference.
But Brown earned its chops all on its own, earning praise for boots-on-the-ground activism. "Brown SSDP students spent their weekends traveling around Rhode Island to canvass neighborhoods in support of H 7092 and S 2253, two bills in the state legislature that would decriminalize possession of up to an ounce of marijuana," according to HIGH TIMES, adding that Brown SSDP students also provided testimony before Rhode Island lawmakers during House and Senate committee hearings this March.
URI: Making the Top 10
Rhode Island's public university was named into HIGH TIMES Top 10 for 2012 for its focus on two prongs of cannabis activism: marijuana decriminalization and legalization bills. The university's joint NORML/SSDP chapter "canvassed neighboring communities to talk about policy change and testified before lawmakers in support of decriminalization," according to HIGH TIMES. "In addition, they hosted rallies for marijuana reform on their campus that brought out supporters from all over the state."
The other institutions to round out HIGH TIMES Top 10 were Piedmont Virginia Community College at #5, followed by University of Colorado Law School at #6, University of New Hampshire at #7, University of Colorado Boulder at #8, and Roosevelt University in Chicago, IL at #10. For HIGH TIMES' Top 20, go here.
For more College coverage, don't miss GoLocalTV, fresh every day at 4pm and on demand 24/7, here.
- NEW: Legalizing Marijuana Won’t Hurt Kids, Says RI Hospital Study
- State Report: Strippers, Marijuana Dispensaries & Legislive Payraises
- NEW: Top 10 National Marijuana Stories—Rhode Island’s Got One
- NEW: Marijuana Decriminalization Bill before Senate Committee Today
- Marijuana Less Damaging to Lungs Than Tobacco
- NEW: RI Doc Suspended for Marijuana Abuses, Another Terminated for Facebook Misuse
- All Marijuana Compassion Center Applications Rejected by Department of Health
- NEW: Watson Tests Positive for Marijuana, Cocaine
- UPDATED: Watson Says Marijuana Use Is Medical
- Medical Marijuana User Directs Documentary ‘License To Grow’
- Poll Shows Half of Americans Support Legalizing Marijuana
- Medical Marijuana Vote Set for Today
- RI Hospital Expert: Is Medical Marijuana Bad for MS Patients?
- NEW: Governor Signs Marijuana Decriminalization Bills
- RI Hospital: New Treatments for Marijuana Abuse in Parolees
- NEW: Lawmakers to Take Up Medical Marijuana Bill Next Week
- State Budget Paves Way For Medical Marijuana Dispensaries