NEW: Alex and Ani Donates $1M to Rhode Island College
Wednesday, September 12, 2012
Rhode Island College President Nancy Carriuolo stated, “Rhode Island College’s art program has long enjoyed a tradition of excellence. Through its many innovative educational programs, Rhode Island College has continued to have a positive impact upon countless students. That’s why it’s especially fitting that we have fostered and developed a relationship with Alex and Ani, a homegrown company that is deeply devoted to bolstering the economy, giving back to the community and promoting positive energy.”
Carriuolo continued, “Rhode Island College is committed to building a world-class art and jewelry making program in the years to come. Alex and Ani’s donation helps set the foundation for that to happen. We are very proud that this building will bear the name of a local world-class lifestyle brand. I would like to thank Alex and Ani owner, Designer Carolyn Rafaelian and CEO Giovanni Feroce for their generosity. We are fortunate to have business leaders like Carolyn and Giovanni, who care deeply about higher education doing their part to enhance the quality of life in Rhode Island.”
Carriuolo is "catalyst"
“The catalyst for the gift was President Carriuolo’s passion and vision for Rhode Island College,” said Giovanni Feroce, CEO of Alex and Ani. “She inspired us to support all that she was doing. We also recognized that RIC’s jewelry program, together with our company’s need for a well-trained workforce, is a collaboration that would be of benefit to bothentities.”
Currently, there are 15 full-time faculty members who teach art programs and serve approximately 240 undergraduate majors, 30 minors and 25 graduate majors. Approximately 2,000 students per year take classes in the facility.
The new art facility is expected to increase those numbers and become a major draw in recruiting new students. The soon-to-be-renovated building opened in 1958 as a Student Center, housing the library, cafeteria, bookstore and study lounges. In 1971, work began to transition the structure into the current Art Center, which was completed in 1976.
The first phase of the renovation project is expected to be completed by January 2013, with the second and final phase to be finished by January 2014.
- Alex and Ani Named One of Best Places to Work
- Alex and Ani and Plan International USA Team to Create “Because I Am a Girl”
- NEW: Alex and Ani Donates $1 Million to Bryant University
- NEW: Alex and Ani Creates Commemorative Bangles for 9/11
- RI College to Host Holocaust Remembrance Events
- NEW: Alex and Ani Hit Silver Screen
- RI College Teams Getting Back Into the Swing
- NEW: Alex and Ani Named One of America’s Fastest-Growing Companies
- Alex and Ani CEO Speaks at Bryant’s World Trade Day Kickoff Event
- NEW: Alex and Ani Releases New Bangle to Benefit Women & Infants
- Alex and Ani Creates HERO Charm Bangle to Benefit Hasbro
- NEW: Alex and Ani’s Rafaelian RI Small Businessperson of the Year
- Alex and Ani Creates Limited Edition Charms for Newport Festivals