MUSIC: The Brother Kite Flies High At The Roi
Monday, December 09, 2013
Reminding me a lot of The National with an alto voice and avant rhythm, The Soldier Story was meant to sooth. Teetering on that Americana borderline, they had an alternative aesthetic with rigid feel along with a therapeutic sound. They did rock though, at point I sensed a little Johnny Marr from the guitar solos. As you can tell, I liked The Soldier Story a lot. If you're ever in the southeastern Connecticut area, check out what this quartet is doing.
Everybody I know always says "You know The Universes? I wanna see them so bad!!!", well if you weren't at The ROI then you should have been here. Art-punk that is so original that it doesn't even conform to the genre, The Universes straight up killed it. "Stuck In The Future", "Watch Out! It's A Trap", "Sexy Dreams", "Hospitals" and "You Photograph Well" were part of a highly energetic performance. Wanna get one of the best local recordings of 2013? Then get The Universes' Hot EP. Warm and amplified, I guarantee you're gonna love it.
Everyone shuffled up to the stage and The Brother Kite got loud and ripped everything to shreds. They played most the tracks of Model Rocket, with "Secrets", "Father To Son" & "Bees" providing one hell of a start. Now I bet you're saying to yourself,"Rob, how come you're not like the Foo Fighters' IT guy and naming the rest of the tracks?" Oh you ask? Because you gotta get the album, you fool!!! Grab The Brother Kite's new album Model Rocket, it's the perfect gift for Christmas. Also, if you want to take that wonderful significant other of yours on a date go to The ROI. Even if it's someone you just met and they give you that feeling, get romantic at a cool place in Providence that definitely provides a good time.
Tell Noah and Brett that I sent you.
- MUSIC: Boo City Goes Steady At The Parlour
- MUSIC: The Winery Dogs’ Mike Portnoy Talks To GoLocal
- MUSIC: Talib Kweli Keeps It Real At The Met
- MUSIC: Tapestries Ring In The Release Of New Album At The Columbus
- MUSIC: Built To Spill Returns To The Met
- MUSIC: Roses Bloom at Local 121
- MUSIC: Toxic Holocaust Thrashes Through Dusk
- MUSIC: Justin Townes Earle Thrills The Newport Blues Cafe
- 5 Live Music Musts: December 6, 2013
- MUSIC: Kung Fu Kicks It At The Met
- MUSIC: Chris Cornell Unplugs The Vets
- MUSIC: The Mighty Good Boys Make It Look Easy At AS220
- Don’t Miss: RI Music Hall of Fame’s Unity Concerts
- MUSIC: The 24 Hour Music Project Takes Center Stage At The Spot