MUSIC: The 24 Hour Music Project Takes Center Stage At The Spot
Thursday, October 10, 2013
After a great speech from The Spot's Artistic Director Josh Willis, Dan Dodd went on the main stage with his acoustic guitar for a mellow start to the night. The combination of his soothing voice and poetic flow of his lyrics resonated in "Turn You On", "Time Machine" and "Make Love". Dan is one of the most talented musicians in Providence, so I suggest giving him a listen. You can start by checking out his page on the Whole Foods' Team Member Music Project where he is in the running to be part of a VH1 artist showcase in Austin, TX. Cast your vote and support a great musical treasure.
Dylan Sevey & The Gentlemen
A band that gets better and better every time I see them, Dylan Sevey & The Gentlemen took the main stage by storm with a set that nearly made the walls shake. "New Mischief", "Dreams That I Dream About You", "We Can Get Things Right", "Lying By The Fire", an emphatic rendition of The Beatles' "Day In The Life" and "Lights Out" were part of a performance that also included a couple sonically obliterating jam sessions that had me amazed. Topped off with an encore of "Content", Dylan and his band of Gentlemen had people going insane by the end. If there is a band that is an absolute must see, go check out Dylan Sevey & The Gentlemen next time they play in Providence.
Wake and Baker
Over on the small stage were Wake and Baker—consisting of Consuelo's Revenge vocalist Amanda Salemi and The Cosmic Factory's Sgt. Baker—providing an intimate acoustic experience. A series of covers starting with Salemi singing with her amazingly Joplin-esque voice on the blues classic "House Of The Rising Sun". Baker took things over with renditions of The Box Tops' "The Letter" and The Beatles' "Norwegian Wood" for an interesting way to start things off. "Stick Fishin'", "Atlas" and "Weight Of The Sky" rounded out a wonderful mix of originals and renditions. You should definitely check out Consuelo's Revenge and The Cosmic Factory next time either act plays in Providence as well and going to see the intimacy of Wake and Baker.
Afrobeat R&B rock with a plethora of excitement, P. Lowe and his band featuring Castle Studios' Matt Tarpy on guitar and Dylan Sevey & The Gentlemen's Brendan Moore on the keys went up to the main stage to get people in the mood to dance. Lowe had a few jazzy numbers and then went all out with "No Tomorrow" featuring Josh Willis on the mic and Spogga on guitar. An exquisite breakdown on "No Music" concluded a fantastic performance, P. Lowe is just another one of those artists in Providence that knows how to bring it. He's playing all over the place and gaining a bigger following everywhere he goes, when he hits up your neighborhood go see P. Lowe for a shock to your soul.
With Galactic Alliance and their brand of hyper psychedelic jam-funk on the small stage and Resin ED's multi-instrumental looping grooves on the main stage keeping the vibes at a positive high and rounding out the night, The 24 Hour Music Project's album release show was one of the best nights I've had so far in 2013. For more information on this spectacular organization log on to 24hourmusicproject.org, while you're at it log on to The Spot's website at thespotprovidence.com to see what's happening next at one hip place to see live music.
- MUSIC: Baroness Annihilates The Met
- MUSIC: Life’s a Gas Takes Over The Parlour
- MUSIC: The Dear Hunter Is Right On Target At The Met
- MUSIC: Black Joe Lewis Makes Moves At Fete
- MUSIC: Lonely Thursdays Get Lovely At The Parlour
- MUSIC: The Evens Get Up Close + Personal At AS220
- MUSIC: Buddy Guy Owns The Blues + Rocks Out The Park Theatre
- MUSIC: Long Lost Plays Dusk
- MUSIC: The London Souls Howl At The Wolf Den
- MUSIC: Chain & The Gang Get Crazy At The Columbus
- MUSIC: Monogold Shines At Fete
- MUSIC: Vudu Sister Gets Acoustic at the Met
- MUSIC: Comic Book Keith Gets Superhuman At One-Eighty
- MUSIC: Newport’s Celtic Rock Festival
- MUSIC: Woodstock Vets Rock Out at the Park
- MUSIC: Del The Funky Homosapien Spits Rhymes At The Met
- MUSIC: Pals Progressively Rock Dusk
- MUSIC: Wooly Fair Transforms the Steel Yard
- MUSIC: Dudesmash Smashes Dudes At The Met
- MUSIC: Rubblebucket Dances With Fete
- MUSIC: Zappa Plays Zappa Gets Weird At Lupo’s
- MUSIC: Ask The Dead Reveal The Leans At Dusk
- MUSIC: El Ten Eleven Electrifies Fete
- MUSIC: Supersuckers Roll Through Fete