Jazz Legend Greg Abate to Play in New Bedford for YWCA Benefit
Monday, April 21, 2014
The concert continues the long-running presentations by Whaling City Sound with proceeds to benefit the YWCA of Southestern Mass.
Two days after this performance, Abate and the same band head into the studio to record the music they will be premiering at the Wamsutta. This is a rare chance to hear a top-notch, all-star jazz group explore original music written for this moment, and which has not previously been played.
Although Abate has been based in Rhode Island for many years, there is no telling where you might run into him, or better yet, catch his inspired performances. He is a regular at festivals, clinics, clubs and universities all over the world. His impressive body of recorded CDs showcases Greg with many of jazz’s legends in the rhythm section or as guest horn-players, so often so that you can count on it. Kenny Barron, Mark Soskin, Rufus Reid, Harvie S, Bill Miele, Paul Del Nero, Paul Nagel and others are just a few of those who can be heard on Greg’s recordings.
Keyboard wizard, composer and educator Tim Ray is the leader of the “chamber jazz” group Tre Corda, but that does not keep him from performances at places like the White House and Carnegie Hall, or on TV shows like the “Tonight Show” and “Letterman.” Recently Tim was part of this same rhythm section at Scullers in Boston with Greg’s baritone-heavy sextet. Currently on the faculty of Berklee College, Tim has taught at all of the major colleges, universities and conservatories in Boston.
John Lockwood has performed at the Wamsutta Club many times as one of the anchors and treasures of guitarist John Stein’s Quartet over the last 5+ years. If Mr. Lockwood is in the band, it is understood that the level of the music just went up a few gears.
Behind the drums for this evening is master drummer Mark Walker. A major contributor to the success of the bands Oregon and the Caribbean Jazz Project, Mark was a long-time member of Paquito D’Rivera’s touring group. He is a Grammy winner, and also teaches at Berklee College in Boston.
- 5 Live Music Musts - February 21st, 2014
- Five Live Music Musts: March 28th 2014
- MUSIC: Detroit’s “Against The Grain” Rips Club Dusk Apart
- PPAC Announces Musical Lineup for the 2014-2015 Broadway Season
- 5 Live Music Musts - February 28th, 2014
- Five Live Music Musts– April 4, 2014
- MUSIC: Dr. John Performing Valentine’s Day at Park Theater
- 5 Live Music Musts – February 14, 2014
- Local Musicians Honor Brown Bird’s David Lamb at Columbus Theatre
- MUSIC: Interview with Mark Mulcahy
- 5 Live Music Musts: March 14, 2014
- MUSIC: A Conversation with Blues-Rock Band My Goodness
- MUSIC: Interview with Rough Francis’ Bobby Hackney Jr.
- 5 Live Music Musts: March 21, 2014
- MUSIC: An Inside Look At Record Store Day In Providence
- MUSIC: Interview with Roz Raskin of Roz and the The Rice Cakes
- 5 Live Music Musts: March 7, 2014
- MUSIC: An Interview with Mike Love of the Beach Boys
- MUSIC: Martha Redbone Roots Project Plays Aurora
- Five Live Music Musts – April 11, 2014
- MUSIC: An Interview with Providence’s Gymshorts
- MUSIC: Remembering David Lamb of Brown Bird
- Five Live Music Musts – April 18, 2014
- MUSIC: Anvil Crushes Dive Bar
- MUSIC: The Most Dangerous Men Alive Bring the Party to Mardi Gras