Guest MINDSETTER™ Morse: 1 Great Thing to do This Weekend - Attend Easter Vigil Mass
Sunday, March 27, 2016
The vigil Mass begins in darkness. The church remains in darkness while scriptures composed prior to Christ's entry into history, scriptures from the Old Testament, are read starting with the creation account from the Book of Genesis. Then, at the point where the readings move from the Old Testament into the New, the lights come on, reminding us that what began with the words “Let there be light” is not complete until the light of the world enters directly into history, in the form of Jesus Christ.
Be careful however not let the linearity of the symbolism deceive you; the entry of Christ into history is no ordinary event, depending solely on what comes before or impacting only what comes after. In the words of Catholic monk Thomas Merton, "the Mystery of Christ is the heart of all history and extends backwards and forwards to embrace all of time". God deposits the great gift of Himself into the middle of history, and also removes the intervals of time between Christ’s life on earth and other events of His choosing, allowing humans across the millennia to share all at once in the Divine presence.
Now, when introduced as an element of Catholic theology, some people will find the idea of a power entering the universe from outside and bending the rules of time to be too fanciful to merit a second thought. But suppose a similar idea was presented in a different form, perhaps as a "new" idea behind a bestselling novel or a blockbuster movie? In that context, might not a fair number of people you know (and perhaps even yourself) find the concept of human beings connected by a force that actively reaches around the flow of time to bring them together to be at least intriguing, maybe even cool, and perhaps worth exploring further?
Of course no one novel or movie, nor any single medium, would be enough to fully explore what it means to move around and beyond time. Which brings us back to the Easter Mass at your local Catholic church.
The Easter Mass -- indeed every Catholic Mass -- is the nearby entrance to the connection across time that has been opened directly by God. The Mass does not merely provide an opportunity to think about the stuff flowing into the universe from an infinitely larger eternity beyond, but provides an opportunity to receive that outpouring directly. (That “stuff”, by the way, is what we Christians call love). And whether you have been conscientiously accepting His gifts for years, or are becoming aware of His power just now, you can be confident that God has invited you to join with others in the celebration He instituted to erase the gulfs of time -- as well as every other gulf that divides the human race.
Related Slideshow: 10 Great Things to do in RI This Weekend - March 25
To Kill a Mockingbird at Trinity Rep
One of the greatest books of all time is now a stage show and it's coming to Providence.
Scout is a six-year-old white girl growing up during the Depression in Alabama. When her father, Atticus, is appointed to defend a black man accused of raping a white woman, Scout embarks on an evolutionary journey revealing the vast differences between people.
Bring Your Own Improv Family Friendly Comedy Show
Bring Your Own Improv is in it's 9th season. The show is an interactive show that is fun for the entire family and encourages audience participation.
The show goes from 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. and tickets are $8 for adults and $5 for seniors, military & Children 12 and under.
Audubon Easter Egg Hunt
The Audubon Society of RI will host an Egg hunt for kids ages 3 to 10 who will search for eggs and receive prizes with the grand prize going to those who find the golden egg.
The event starts at 10 a.m. and participants are asked to bring their own basket.
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Robert Billington: Welcome Home Pawtucket Red Sox
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Santos: RhodeWorks Amnesty for East Bay & Aquidneck Island
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Rep. Morgan: GOP Fought to Make Terrible Toll Bill Better
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Rep. McKiernan: Car Tolls Benefiting General Fund Will Not Happen
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Sen. Sheehan: Ethics Reform - or a Festering Status Quo
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Forleo: CCRI About to Undergo Political Takeover
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Tony Jones: Let’s Utilize Cannabis to Help Pay for RI’s Roads
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Rep. Ruggiero: A ‘Victory Day’ For RI Taxpayers & Small Businesses
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Santos: Governor Raimondo’s Toll Road to Washington
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Jared Moffat: Tax Marijuana in RI, Not Medicine
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Fitzpatrick: What Buddy Cianci Taught Me
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Rep. Ruggiero: RhodeWorks - The Right Route to a Stronger Economy
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Zurier: The Best Way To Ensure Quality Public Education For All Rhode Islanders
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Fine: What Does Drug and Alcohol Use Cost Rhode Island?
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Fine: How Many Drugs & How Much Alcohol Do Rhode Islanders Use?
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Stu Mundy: Teamsters for Trump? I Don’t Think So!
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Tom Kenney: Fire Pare
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Berwick: Tax Reform in Rhode Island
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Ajello: Cell phone Location Data Merits Protection
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Tom Kenney: Commissioner Pare Should be Fired
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Tom Kenney: Destruction of The PFD
- Guest MINDSETTER™ DeNuccio: RI Should Reject Marijuana Legalization
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Santos: RhodeWorks RI, a Constitutional Pandora’s Box
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Conley: Don’t Tamper With Our Treasure - History is Not for Hacks!
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Archambault: Surprise Billing Can be Financially Disastrous to Patients