Governor Raimondo Declares October Information Literacy Month
Monday, October 19, 2015
"Join us in celebrating October is Information Literacy Month! Across the state of Rhode Island,from Woonsocket to Westerly, from Little Compton to Coventry - librarians and educators provide access to information and teach RI citizens how to use, evaluate and apply information, encouraging us all to become informed citizens and empowered users of information," said Mary MacDonald, RILA-ILART, co-chair.
Information literacy emphasizes K-16 development of the habits of mind needed to maintain knowledge and understanding of information received continually.
"The Information Literacy Month highlights that libraries of all types provide this skill as they help people. Libraries cover the broad spectrum of Information Literacy from children¹s story times to computer classes for adults. We educate and teach patrons to locate and utilize the information they need for their daily lives in educational, research, and for entertainment purposes," said Aaron Coutu, president of the Rhode Island Library Association.
RI Library Association
The Rhode Island Library Association is a professional association of librarians, library staff, trustees and library supporters who serve the purpose of promoting the profession of librarianship and improve the visibility, accessibility and responsiveness and effectiveness of library and information services.
- Well Read: Reading With Robin announces Book Club 411 with HUGE Giveaway!
- Fit For Life: Are You Reading That Label Right?
- Top 20 Books For Summer Reading
- Treading Water in the Ocean State
- Well-Read: 5 Books for Your Fall Reading List
- URI’s Jumpstart Reading Program Turns 10
- Taveras Advocates for Reading Programs Targeting Low-Income Kids
- Well-Read: Reading With Robin - Why Does 50 Shades Of Grey Matter?
- Well-Read: Reading With Robin - (It really is) All About That Book..and a few giveaways!*
- Reading With Robin: Benjamin’s Book Buddies Summer Reading Series
- Reading With Robin: Paperback Writers
- Well-Read: Reading with Robin - Best of 2014
- Rhode Island in Top Three Nationally for 4th Grade Reading Gains
- Well-Read: Reading with Robin- Write Your Book in 2015
- Well-Read: Reading With Robin- Books I’m looking forward to This Year - Part One.
- It’s All About Education: Reading for Pleasure Predicts Academic Success
- Reading With Robin: Top Summer Picks
- Reading With Robin: The Ice Cream Queen
- Reading With Robin’s 5 Favorites for Mother’s Day
- Reading With Robin Presents: NY Times Bestselling author Sarah McCoy and The Mapmaker’s Children!
- Spring Titles at Reading with Robin
- Reading With Robin: 5 New Books + What Authors are Reading Now
- Summer Reading With Robin 2015
- Reading With Robin: Moses Brown’s 2015 Book Festival with Distinguished Poet & Essayist Mark Doty
- Reading With Robin on Women’s Wellness Day