Fit for Life: Losing Summer, Not Fitness
Saturday, October 18, 2014
Losing Summer, Not Fitness…
It has been scientifically proven that light deprivation, due to shorter sunlight hours, causes depression and Vitamin D deficiency. And due to the climate change, it is a biological defense mechanism to store more body fat for people in our region to keep warm. But with all that being said, good health and physical activity should not be seasonal, it should be a way of life. I realize that you need to turn up the intensity in the spring, because you want to peak and look your best for the summer, and eating and training at a higher than normal level is not sustainable for most, but you should never completely stop. Pro athletes train differently when the season starts, off season, and pre season, and so should we. In our “off” season, we still need to focus on our health and fitness even though there are a lot of distractions, and the lack of desire diminishes.
Find your motivation.
You need to find reasons to maintain what you work so hard for. One reason may be a winter getaway to somewhere warm, or if you ski, or take part in other winter activities, and just needing the strength, and stamina to shovel snow are perfect examples of why to stay in top physical condition. Here are a few things you can do to sustain. Join Providence Fit Body Bootcamp! Hire a personal trainer or coach to motivate you. When you pay for something, and put the appointment in the book, you are more likely to stick with the commitment. If you decide to do it on your own, I recommend joining a gym that offers programs that guarantee results, and hold you accountable. Otherwise you tend to get distracted at home or in an overwhelming facility. TV, phone, chores, procrastination, etc. I would also recommend the local YMCA. I notice a few of them have been updated and they offer a lot of activities for the family. Another option would be to sign up at a small studio that offers yoga, Pilates, boxing for fitness, or various other activities. There is no reason to let your health suffer when there are fun options available.
- Fit for Life: Just Do It!
- Fit For Life: Good Eating and Exercise - Disguised
- Fit for Life: You’re Not Alone
- Fit for Life: Everything Old is New Again
- Fit for Life: One Step at a Time
- Fit for Life: Attention! It’s an Epidemic!
- Fit For Life: Ah-Choo!
- Fit For Life: How to Make Fitness Your Way of Life
- Fit For Life: The Planet’s in Trouble and So Are We
- Fit for Life: A Divided Nation
- Fit For Life: Making Sacrifices
- Fit for Life: No time. Too busy. FAIL.
- Fit For Life: Life Is a Marathon Not a Sprint
- Fit for Life: What Would Matt Do?
- Fit for Life: Got Drive?
- Fit for Life: 1-2-3: REST!
- Fit for Life: Get a Coach. I did.
- Fit for Life: Change. Embrace it.
- Fit for Life: Back to School – Two Ways to Get It Right
- Fit for Life: Fit At Any Age
- Fit for Life: Want to Lose Weight? Ready, Set, GO!
- Fit for Life: Your Future is in Your Hands
- Fit for Life: I Don’t Want to Hear It, So Don’t Say It
- Fit for Life: Feel Invincible
- Fit For Life: How To Be Unstoppable