Fit for Life: It’s Just Talk
Saturday, November 08, 2014
"Getting to the gym is half the battle". — NO, it’s not! Most people will tend to agree with this, without giving it much thought, but I am here to tell you that just getting to the gym isn't even close to winning 1/2 the battle. As a matter of fact, just showing up isn't even 10% of the battle. I have been watching people "show up" at gyms for over 20 years and get nowhere close to their goals, due to lack of drive, discipline, and direction. When you go to the gym it takes knowledge, programming, and hard work, with plenty of strenuous exercise and sweat to see any results at all. After you establish what it takes, it requires consistency to even get close to winning the battle. Just think about it – would you say, “just showing up at the market, is half the battle to eating healthy”, when in reality, you can go very wrong if you do not have a list, or a plan, or an idea about what is good for you and what is not. So if you think that just showing up at a gym, sitting on a lifecycle, lumbering around the free weight floor, or reading a magazine on a treadmill is going to help you gain ground with your battle, you are sadly mistaken. At my Fit Body Boot Camp, or anywhere where you are working with a qualified professional, you aren’t going to gain much ground with an attitude like that. There should be a plan for you when you walk in the door. At my gym, I give you direction, hold you accountable, and provide all the tools you need to conquer, and achieve results. No, it’s not good enough to just show up. Be prepared. For what? To sweat, and move, and work hard, because overcoming poor conditioning requires a lot more than just showing up.
"Great abs are made in the kitchen”. Ok so there is some merit to this quote, but just eating great isn’t going to put muscle on your body, and make you fit. Lifting weights, and bouts of high intensity training will. I know a few people that eat correctly, but their bodies are still mush. Abdominals are a muscle group and need to be trained to get stronger and look better, just like back and biceps. Besides, you can over eat quality food just as easily as overeating junk food. Granted you will be healthier, but it is impossible to get fit without exercise. You need to burn body fat and build muscle to achieve your fitness goals, and you can’t do it with good nutrition alone. You need to shed some sweat, move some weight and feel the burn to complete the package. Yes, the phrase, ‘you can’t out exercise a bad diet’ is true, but ‘you can’t eat your way to total fitness’ is also true.
I am not trying to discourage anyone, but I am trying to give you the reality of the whole concept of fitness. I never sugar coat (pun intended) things so I am telling you that being fit and maintaining your health is hard work, and not an easy task, regardless of what all the clichés on the street are telling you.
[email protected]; check out his website at http://www.fitnessprofiles.net or on Facebook at Matt Espeut or on Twitter @MattEspeut. Call 401-453-3200 for pre-opening information.
- Fit for Life: One Step at a Time
- Fit for Life: Everything Old is New Again
- Fit for Life: No time. Too busy. FAIL.
- Fit For Life: Life Is a Marathon Not a Sprint
- Fit for Life: Want to Lose Weight? Ready, Set, GO!
- Fit for Life: You’re Not Alone
- Fit for Life: Just Do It!
- Fit For Life: Making Sacrifices
- Fit For Life: Ah-Choo!
- Fit for Life: Attention! It’s an Epidemic!
- Fit For Life: Good Eating and Exercise - Disguised
- Fit for Life: Your Future is in Your Hands
- Fit for Life: I Don’t Want to Hear It, So Don’t Say It
- Fit for Life: Change. Embrace it.
- Fit for Life: Get a Coach. I did.
- Fit For Life: How To Be Unstoppable
- Fit for Life: Losing Summer, Not Fitness
- Fit For Life: You Can…and You Will..
- Fit for Life: 1-2-3: REST!
- Fit for Life: What Would Matt Do?
- Fit for Life: Feel Invincible
- Fit for Life: Fit At Any Age
- Fit for Life: Back to School – Two Ways to Get It Right
- Fit for Life: Got Drive?
- Fit For Life: Moving It…Indoors