slides: FirstWorks Releases 2015-16 Performance Schedule
Tuesday, July 14, 2015
“We’re entering our second decade and Rhode Islanders remain ready to be dazzled by something new, innovative, and exciting. That’s exactly what we’ll deliver with the diverse array of stunning talents on deck for our 2015-16 season," said FirstWorks Executive Artistic Director Kathleen Pletcher.
This season, FirstWorks is expanding it's Artistic Icons Series at The Vets starting with a performance by the Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra with Wynton Marsalis on December 4.
The Artistic Icon Series will also feature performances from Rosanne Cash, London's BalletBoyz and Rhode Island's own Aurea Ensemble.
“Each FirstWorks season proves more exciting than the last, and each performance of the 2015-16 season builds on the artistic and creative momentum we have established over the past ten years. We are thrilled to begin our next decade of presenting Rhode Islanders with new, exhilarating, and challenging works," said Pletcher.
See who is Performing in the Slideshow Below.
FirstWorks launched in 2004 and has since produced 24 arts festivals and programs attracting more than 285,000 participants and over 60 performances.
Most recently, FirstWorks co-produced the inaugural Providence International Arts Festival which was a four day event featuring 700 local, national and international artists and 30 public art installations. The festival attracted 100,000 visitors and generated over $2.8 million in economic Impact.
Related Slideshow: FirstWorks 2015-16 Performance Schedule
FirstWorks Frontier Series
The FirstWorks Frontier Series will combine interactive media and live performances, featuring "Cloud Eye Control's Half Life" at 8 p.m. at the Columbus Theatre.
Tickets range from $10-$30.
Photo courtesy of Eugene Ahn
Lincoln Center Orchestra
Head over to The Vets and check out the Lincoln Center Orchestera led by Pullitzer Prize winning composer Wynton Marsalis, featuring vocals by Denzal Sinclaire. The performance begins at 7:30 p.m.
Tickets range from $28-$100, including $3 restoration fee.
London's Balletboyz will make their Rhode Island debut at The Vets at 6:30 p.m.
This group of ten men will take intense physicality to traditionally feminine form.
Tickets for the show range from $18-$75, including a three dollar restoration fee.
Photo courtesy Christopher Wheeldon
Urban Bush Women
Urban Bush Women will bring s John Coltrane's A Love Supreme to life with stunning choreography and live music in their world premiere tour.
The show begins at 8 p.m. and tickets range from $18-$75, including a three dollar restoration fee.
Photo Credit Rick McCullough
Rosanne Cash, daughter of the legendary Johnny Cash, comes ot The Vets for a 6:30 p.m. show with a full band and multi media experience. Cash will play songs off her Grammy Award winning album The River & The Thread.
Tickets range from $28-$75, including a $3 restoration fee.
Photo credit Clay Patrick McBride
- FirstWorks to Feature AILEY II Workshops, Performances
- Sweet Honey in the Rock Coming to FirstWorks
- NEW: FirstWorks Lands International Islamic Arts Program
- FirstWorks Announces 2011 Festival Schedule
- Hot String Quartet Brooklyn Rider Coming to FirstWorks
- Gare St Lazare Brings Beckett to Dark, Comic Life at FirstWorks
- Pianist Christopher O’Riley at FirstWorks
- Review: Pilobolus Opens FirstWorks Festival
- Jamie Jewett’s “Blinking” at FirstWorks
- Review: “Blinking” at FirstWorks
- La Excelencia Brings Hot Salsa to FirstWorks
- Laurie Anderson Returns to Providence for FirstWorks
- Jamie Jewett’s “Seven Veils” World Premiere Coming to FirstWorks
- FirstWorks 2013-14 Season Brings World-Class Artists To Rhode Island
- Don’t Miss: FirstWorks’ “Riot At The Rite” Film + Panel March 14
- Martha Redbone To Kick Off FirstWorks 10th Anniversary
- Artist Janie Geiser to Showcase Film at FirstWorks April 10
- FirstWorks Urban Carnevale Announces Final Line-Up
- Wynton Marsalis, Joffrey Ballet Coming to FirstWorks Providence
- Dan Lawlor: FirstWorks Festival Made Providence a Classy City
- Bill T. Jones Coming to FirstWorks
- NEW: FirstWorks’ “Your Story/In 140” Twitter Contest
- 5 Weekend Musts: Bobby McFerrin at FirstWorks + More
- FirstWorks Takes Over Kennedy Plaza Sept. 29
- RI’s FirstWorks Receives $58,000 Grant From DANCE/USA