Family Matters: Mother-Son Bookclubs
Friday, August 10, 2012
The first rule of Mother-Son bookclub...
We came up with a few loose rules, to get started.
1. Mothers and sons read the books.
2. Each boy takes a turn selecting the book. (We drew number order at the first meeting.)
3. Meet monthly, rotating houses from 5:30-7:30 PM. Each meeting includes dinner, activity, book discussion.
4. Host parent buys the pizza, host child (with help from parent) plans the project / activity / discussion.
5. Host boy selects the next book.
The boys were heading into 4th grade when we started the club. Here’s a list below of our Mother-Son bookclub reads and the activity that we did to accompany each book .
Where the Mountain Meets the Moon by Grace Lin
Activity: Make a Shrinky Dink dragon.
The Great Brain by John D. Fitzgerald
Activity: Play marbles and other simple games.
Warriors: Into the Wild by Erin Hunter
Activity: Make a book club book journal.
War Horse by Michael Murporgo
Activity: Watch Youtube video of WW1 treatment of horses. Play the game Stratego.
My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George
Activity: Make your own granola.
The Phantom Tollbooth written by Norton Juster and illustrated by Jules Feiffer.
Activity: Math and word games.
By the Great Horn Spoon! by Sid Fleischman
Activity: Sift for gold. (Gold rocks hidden sand.)
When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead
Activity: Scavenger Hunt. Watch “The 20,000 Pyramid” on Youtube and play our own version of the game.
Amulet series by Kazu Kibuishi
Activity: Cartoon drawing. Hunt for your own amulet.
Because of Mr. Terupt by Rob Buyea
Activity: Make up dollar words. Count grass. Role playing – bullying, conflict situations.
Dave at Night by Gail Carson Levine
The Chronicles of Harris Burdick: Fourteen Amazing Authors Tell the Tales / With an Introduction by Lemony Snicket
Are your children in a bookclub? Let us know what you’re reading, what works, what doesn’t. We would love to hear from you.
If you valued this article, please LIKE GoLocalProv.com on Facebook by clicking HERE.
For more Lifestyle, check out GoLocalTV fresh every day at 4pm, and on demand 24/7, here.
- Family Matters: Summer Staycations
- Family Matters: 100 Things To Do in RI With the Kids
- Family Matters: 10 Ways Kids Can Play All by Themselves
- Family Matters: Celebrate Mud Day!
- Family Matters: DIY Birthday Cakes (Just Add Toys)