video: Don’t Miss: FirstWorks’ “Riot At The Rite” Film + Panel March 14
Monday, March 11, 2013
Thursday, March 14: Riot at The Rite: Scandal, Myth, Hype?
Film screening + conversation featuring special guest, Deborah Jowitt, Dance Critic. Thursday March 14, 5:30-8:00pm, Chace Center, Metcalf Auditorium, RISD Museum
See the BBC2's 2005 depiction of the high drama that ensued when young revolutionaries Vaslav Nijinksy and Igor Stravinsky combined their pyrotechnic geniuses in the ballet that created a literal riot at Paris' Champs Elysees Theatre. After the film, join GoLocal features editor Tracey Minkin moderating a conversation featuring dance critic Deborah Jowitt, who covered dance for The Village Voice from 1967-2011, Heidi Henderson, professor of Dance and Dance Writing at Connecticut College, and Kate Irvin, Curator for the Department of Costume and Textiles at the RISD Museum.
Monday, March 18: Rite of Spring: Modern Dance and Public Disturbance
Humanities panel discussion presented by the Cogut Center for the Humanities, Special guest, Ashley Wheater, Artistic Director, The Joffrey Ballet. Monday, March 18, 5:30-7:00, Pembroke House, Brown University.
Joining Ashley Wheater on this panel will be Mary Gluck, Professor of History, Brown University; Dana Gooley, Associate Professor of Music, Brown University; and Tamara Levitz, Associate Professor of Musicology, UCLA.
Mon/Tues, March 18/19: Open community Master Classes
Two Joffrey Ballet Masters will conduct open community Master Classes: On Monday, March 18, 5:30-7:00pm, Newport Academy of Ballet taught by Joffrey Ballet Master, Graca Sales; on Tuesday, March 19, 10:00-11:30am, Smith Arts Center Dance Studio, Providence College taught by Joffrey Ballet Master, Nicolas Blanc.
Tuesday, March 19: An open rehearsal
The Joffrey Ballet artistic staff have extended an invitation for RI students, March 19, for a behind the scenes tour and access to an open rehearsal at PPAC. FirstWorks arts-learning partner schools, including JMW School for the Performing Arts in Pawtucket, Trinity Academy for the Performing Arts and PAIS in Providence will participate.
To get a sneak peek at the Joffrey's historic recreation of the original 1913 ballet, watch here.
These programs are made possible in part by a grant from the RI Council For The Humanities. Detailed information on these and other FirstsWorks arts learning programs celebrating the Rite of Spring Centennial is available at First-Works.org. Tickets are on sale now for The Joffrey Ballet, prices start at $23 and are available at ppacri.com or 401-421-ARTS (2787).
- FirstWorks Takes Over Kennedy Plaza Sept. 29
- FirstWorks to Feature AILEY II Workshops, Performances
- Gare St Lazare Brings Beckett to Dark, Comic Life at FirstWorks
- Hot String Quartet Brooklyn Rider Coming to FirstWorks
- Jamie Jewett’s “Blinking” at FirstWorks
- Jamie Jewett’s “Seven Veils” World Premiere Coming to FirstWorks
- La Excelencia Brings Hot Salsa to FirstWorks
- Laurie Anderson Returns to Providence for FirstWorks
- NEW: FirstWorks Lands International Islamic Arts Program
- Pianist Christopher O’Riley at FirstWorks
- Review: “Blinking” at FirstWorks
- Review: Pilobolus Opens FirstWorks Festival
- Wynton Marsalis, Joffrey Ballet Coming to FirstWorks Providence
- Sweet Honey in the Rock Coming to FirstWorks