Brown to Bestow Honorary Degrees on Robert De Niro, Daveed Diggs & 4 Others
Friday, April 21, 2017
Robert De Niro
De Niro won his first Academy Award for best supporting actor for “The Godfather: Part II” in 1974. Six years later, he received the Oscar for best actor for his performance in “Raging Bull.”
In 2009, De Niro received the Kennedy Center Honors and the Stanley Kubrick Britannia Award for Excellence in Film. In 2011, he served as jury president of the Cannes Film Festival and was honored with the Cecil B. DeMille Award at the Golden Globe Awards.
He is co-founder of the Tribeca Film Festival and Tribeca Enterprises, a diversified global media company based in New York City.
Diggs rose to fame on the New York theatre scene following Tony-winning performance in the roles of Thomas Jefferson and Marquis de Lafayette in Lin-Manuel Miranda’s Broadway sensation “Hamilton.” For these roles, Diggs also earned a Lucille Lortel Award for best supporting actor.
He is currently guest starring on ABC’s “Blackish” and will appear in HBO’s mockumentary “Tour de Pharmacy” alongside Andy Samberg and Will Forte.
Currently, he is producing a comedy pilot for ABC. Diggs earned a bachelor’s degree from Brown in 2004 with a theatre arts concentration.
Diggs will deliver the Baccalaureate address to the Class of 2017 on Saturday afternoon in the Meeting House of the First Baptist Church in America.
Other Honorary Degrees
Brown will bestow four other honorary degrees during the ceremony.
Recipients of those degreed include visual science expert Donald Hood, businesswoman Indra Nooyi, business executive Richard Parsons and poet Rosmarie Waldrop.
Related Slideshow: 15 Famous Brown Graduates
Here are some famous Brown graduates, some of whom came from privilege while others came from acting backgrounds.
- Hamilton Receives 16 Tony Award Nominations
- Hamilton Coming to PPAC During 2018-2019 Season
- Brown’s Daveed Diggs Wins Tony for Hamilton
- Brown University Grad Rafael Maia Takes 5th Year at Pitt
- Brown U. Set to Host Ivy League Lacrosse Tournament
- GoLocalTV: Brown University Alums in the 2016 Presidential Race
- Brown University Math Institute Awarded Renewal of $17.5 Million Grant
- Brown University Rescinds Honorary Degree Bestowed to Bill Cosby ‘85
- Brown University Graduate Student Dies in Fall from Science Library Building
- Brown University Admits 2,580 to Class of 2019
- NEW: Brown University Investigated by Feds in Sexual Assault Case
- NEW: Brown University Names Cliatt New VP for Communications
- 30 Brown University Alumni Leading the United States in Business
- Aronson, Founding Dean Of Medicine at Brown University, Dies at 92
- Brown University & RI Hospital Earn Grants to Teach Addiction Screening
- VIDEO: Brown University Student Trashes American Flags
- NEW: Brown University’s Kosterlitz Wins Nobel Prize in Physics (UPDATED)
- NEW: Second Incident, American Flag at Brown University Spray Painted With Swear
- RISD Student Kicked Out of Brown University Gym for Showing Midriff
- NEW: Brown U. Names Logan Powell Next Dean of Admission
- Brown U. Senior Okoro Receives Scholarship for Leadership & Community Service
- Brown University Public Safety Officers Vote No Confidence in Leadership
- NEW: Brown U. Admits 2,919 Students From Largest Applicant Pool in History
- Brown U. Names Lipscombe Director of Institute for Brain Science