Boy Scouts Collect 200,000 Pounds of Food for RI Food Bank
Tuesday, November 10, 2015
Rhode Island Community Food Bank and other are pantries over the last few weeks. The result is 200,000 pounds of food were donated from the community.
Food donations increased by more than 60,000 pounds from last year's scouting drive. Since the Council's first drive in 1988, Scouts have collected more than 8 million pounds of food for Rhode Island, Southern Massachusetts and Connecticut.
“Each year, we are impressed by the hard work and dedication our Scouts’ put forth for this drive. Their continued involvement is a true testament to the lessons and values Scouting teaches our youth," said John Mosby, the Narragansett Council's Scout Executive/CEO.
In Rhode Island, the USDA reports that almost 14.4 percent of households are lacking food and about 4.6 percent are at risk of going hungry.
“Donations from this year’s drive will help the more than 60,000 Rhode Islanders we serve each month through our network of member agencies. We’re incredibly grateful to the Scouts, their families and Troop leaders, and to those who donate to their neighbors in need. Without everyone’s help, Scouting for Food would not be possible," said Andrew Schiff, CEO of the Rhode Island Community Food Bank.
Looking to donate? Visit one of the scout shops listed below.
West Bay Scout Shop
1276 Bald Hill Road, Unit 160
Warwick, RI 02886
East Bay Scout Shop
79 Swansea Mall Drive
Swansea, MA 02777
Scouting for Food
Scouting for pod is the largest food drive in New England and is an effort supported by the Narragansett Council of Boy Scouts of America, the Rhode Island Community Food Bank, the Rhode Island Army National Guard and local fire stations.
Rhode Island Community Food Bank
The Rhode Island Community Food Bank was founded in 1982 and is focused on providing food to people in need and promoting long-term solutions to the problem of hunger.
For more information, click here.
- RI Food Bank Brings Back Award-Winning “Nothing” Campaign
- “Striking Out Hunger” Nets $75K for RI Food Bank
- Citizens Bank Donates to RI Food Bank for Every PawSox Strike-Out
- Washington Trust’s PB Xpress Collecting Peanut Butter for RI Food Bank
- Seven Stars Bakery Donates Day’s Earnings to RI Food Bank
- Great Rhody Yarn Crawl to Benefit RI Food Bank
- Seven Stars to Donate All Jan. 2 Sales to RI Food Bank
- RI Food Bank Wins RI Foundation Community Leadership Award
- Stop & Shop to Deliver 1,000 Turkeys to the RI Food Bank
- “Canstruction” Returns to Prov. Place Mall to Benefit RI Food Bank
- RI Food Bank Kicks Off Summer Food Drive
- Don’t Miss: Lobster Bake For RI Food Bank
- RE/MAX Donates 3,000 Pounds of Food to RI Food Bank
- Stop & Shop Donates 1,000 Turkeys to RI Food Bank
- RI Food Bank’s Community Kitchen Accepting Applicants for Summer