slides: 25 Ways to Give in RI this Holiday Season
Thursday, November 27, 2014
Here are 25 ways to give to your local non-profit organizations this holiday season.
Non-profits in Rhode Island lend a voice to great causes such as battling homelessness, supporting medical care for the sick, and lending support to music and art programming.
"We go right into the streets of Providence where the homeless rates are so high," says Martinha Javid, Founder of the MAE Organization for the Homeless. "Our most needed items are tents, sleeping bags, hats, gloves, warmers for hands and shoes, blankets, and toiletries."
Donating your time, goods, or money can make a difference this holiday, and it feels amazing to know that you have helped your community in the process.
Related Slideshow: 25 Ways to Give for the Holiday Season
MAE for the Homeless
MAE Organization for the Homeless helps homeless individuals and their families heal from the traumas and anxieties of their situation.
The organization needs funding for a new facility and basic winter accesories - like hats, gloves, and hand warmers - and toiletries for those in need.
Photo: MAE Organization for the Homeless
78 Thames St., Newport, RI
Confetti Foundation uses donations to provide starter party kits for children who have to celebrate their birthdays in the hospital.
Each kit costs $22 to produce, and the organization is looking to reach it's goal of 500 boxes by December 31st this year.
Photo: Confetti Foundation
Rock Paper Scissors
38 Asa Pond Rd., Wakefield, RI
Rock Paper Scissors Children's Fund is an organization that supports music and art programs for children in Vietnam.
You can even donate a bike to children who often have to walk long distances to get to school.
Photo: Rock Paper Scissors Children's Fund
105 Dodge St, Providence, RI
Khadarlis is an organization that is looking to fight poverty and social inequality in Rhode Island and Sierra Leone.
Khadarlis is focused on supporting the community with healthcare, educational services and other basic needs and supplies.
New Urban Arts
743 Westminster St., Providence, RI
New Urban Arts was founded in 1997 and provides a community arts studio for students and emerging artists in Providence.
Donate your time as a volunteer to help mentor urban high school kids and help foster a supportive and creative community.
Photo: New Urban Arts
415 Friendship St., Providence, RI
Amos House accepts monetary donations to support the training, housing, and recovery programs they provide for the hungry, homeless and unemployed in Rhode Island.
The organization also accepts donations in-kind such as gently used strollers, pillowcases, laundry detergent, baby formula, and first aid kits for the families who participate in their programs.
Photo: Amos House
Hope Funds for Cancer
226 Bellevue Ave., Newport, RI
Hope Funds for Cancer Research holds special events every year to help raise money for young researchers looking for fellowship opportunities.
Become a philanthropist for the organization by attending, or make a gift to help fund cancer research in Rhode Island.
Photo: Hope Funds for Cancer Research
Support Our Troops
325 Laurel Ridge Ln., N. Kingstown, RI
Operation Support Our Troops sends care packages to members of the armed forces.
Give our troops a sense of home with your donation, and help them remember they are cared for. You can ever make a donation in honor of a soldier in your life.
Photo: Operation Support Our Troops
79 Savoy St., Providence, RI
Project GOAL (Greater Opportunity for Athletes to Learn) aims to develop Rhode Island’s disadvantaged youth through after school tutoring and soccer-related programs.
Volunteer your time or support the staff at Project GOAL to help children in your community.
Operation Stand Down
1010 Hartford Ave, Johnston, RI
Operation Stand Down supports veteran female soldiers who have experienced hardship and homelessness in Rhode Island through their Cpl. Holly Charette House.
Help our troops come home and get back on their feet by donating to Operation Stand Down.
You can also help by organizing food drives for their other locations.
386 Smith St., Providence, RI
Sojourner House, Inc. is a domestic violence agency that assists victims of relationship violence by providing shelter, advocacy and violence prevention education.
Donate to their safe house wish list with items like toaster ovens, small tables, pillows, fitted sheets, and pots and pans for their residents.
Photo: Sojourner House
Children’s Wishes of RI
2346 Post Rd, Warwick, RI
Children’s Wishes of Rhode Island grants wishes to children living with life-threatening medical illnesses.
Refer a special child in your life or donate things like air miles, and fundraising events to help them say “yes” to children in the community.
Photo: Children's Wishes of Rhode Island
160 Broad St, Providence, RI
Crossroads is the largest homeless services organization in Rhode Island.
Donate goods like baby diapers, non-perishable food items, and toiletries to the organization this year to help those who are homeless or at risk during these winter months.
1231 Kingstown Rd., Peace Dale, RI
The Jonnycake Center of Peace Dale collects food and other items for its annual holiday program to help families in need and is run by youth volunteer members of Teen Jonnycake.
Donations are still needed for their December Holiday Food Baskets such as pancake mix, cereal, canned juice and soups.
Photo: Jonnycake Center of Peace Dale
805 Alton Carolina Road, Charlestown, RI
Rhode Island Center Assisting those in Need (RI CAN) is always looking for donations to their food pantry and accepts fresh, dry or frozen foods.
RI CAN also accepts articles of clothing, and furniture to give out to their clients.
You can also donate your time by volunteering at events.
- Stop & Shop Donates 1,000 Turkeys to RI Food Bank
- NEW: Webster Bank Donates $10K To Red Cross For Hurricane Sandy Relief
- Hasbro Donates 25,000 Toys To RI Families In Need
- RE/MAX Donates 3,000 Pounds of Food to RI Food Bank
- RI Garden Club Donates Greenery to Women & Infants Oncology Dept
- NEW: Tufts Foundation Donates $70K To RI Free Clinic
- NEW: Hassenfeld Family Initiatives Donates $1M to Bryant
- NEW: Expiration Dates Allowed on Gift Cards Donated to Help Charities
- NEW: Sen. Ruggerio Donates Raise to Food Pantries
- NEW: People’s Credit Union Donates Backpacks to Local Kids
- NEW: Alex and Ani Donates $1M to Rhode Island College
- Romance Novelist Donates 16 RI-Based Books To Local Libraries
- Lifespan Donates 50 Defibrillators To RI Communities
- Delta Dental of RI Donates $60K to 2014 Mission of Mercy
- NEW: RE/MAX Donates $5,000 to Hasbro Children’s Hospital
- Dave’s Marketplace Donates 20,000 Pounds of Food for Rhode Island Community Food Bank
- Dunkin Donuts & Baskin Robbins Donates $20K to Feed Kids in Newport
- NEW: Kennedy Donated to Pell, Raimondo, Not Taveras
- Make A Difference, Ocean State Job Lot To Donate 2,000 Turkeys
- The Scoop: GOP Mayoral Candidate Donated to Taveras
- Chico’s Stores To Donate Proceeds To Women & Infants Programs
- Local Contractors Offer To Donate Labor For Repairs To City Pool
- The Scoop: Clay Pell’s Cousin Donated $2,250 to Raimondo; More
- The Scoop: Dad of Taveras Spokesman Donated $3K to Raimondo; More
- Alex and Ani Donates $1 Million to Support URI Research