slides: 25 Ways to Celebrate Veterans in New England
Saturday, May 27, 2017
We stop to consider, remember and thank the men and women who have given their lives while protecting the country.
SEE THE WAYS TO CELEBRATE VETERANS SLIDESHOW BELOW
In Rhode Island, notable events include Operation Stand Down's Boots on the Ground Memorial, the Avenue of Flags and plenty of parades and ceremonies.
GoLocal has assembled a list of events taking place in Rhode Island and all across New England to help celebrate veterans.
See the Slideshow Below
Related Slideshow: 25 Ways to Celebrate Veterans in New England - 2017
Operation Stand Down's Boots on the Ground Memorial
Operation Stand Down RI (OSDRI) will host the 2nd annual Boots on the Ground for Heroes Memorial this Memorial Day weekend from Friday, May 26 at 8 a.m. to Monday, May 29 at 2 p.m. Overall, OSDRI will place nearly 7,000 boots in the field by the Temple to Music at Roger Williams Park throughout the weekend.
On Sunday, May 28 there will be a Patriotic Concert by the RI National Guard 88th Army Band. The concert will begin at 6:30 p.m.
The event will honor all of Rhode Island's American heroes, who were killed in action defending the country during the war on terror, by marking their lives with a boot, flag, and name placard.
North Kingstown Wreath Laying and Parade
North Kingstown, RI
The North Kingstown Wreath laying ceremony will take place on Monday, May 29 at Civil War Memorial at North Kingstown Town Hall as well as at Veterans Memorial Park. The wreath laying ceremony will begin at 9 a.m.
Following the wreath-laying, there will be a Memorial Day parade at 10 a.m.
PHOTO: Presidio of Monterey/flickr
The Charlestown Parade begins on Sunday, May 28 at 1 p.m. starting from the Cross Mills on Old Post Road and ending at Ninigret Park.
Once at the park, there will be ceremonies and a performance by the Wakefield Concert Band at 3 p.m.
Ellsworth Maine Memorial Day Parade
Beginning on Monday, May 29 at 10 a.m. local marching bands will play patriotic tunes, ride on colorful floats while dressed in red, white and blue.
The parade will follow School St. to Main St. before ending at City Hall.
Foster Parade and Wreath Laying
The Foster Memorial Day Parade and wreath laying will kick off at 8:45 a.m. on Monday, May 29 from the Foster Center and North roads and go to the Ben Eddy Building.
Following the parade, there will also be a speaking program and the unveiling of a monument that is dedicated to World War II veterans who were originally from Foster.
Seekonk Memorial Day Parade
The Seekonk Memorial Day Parade kicks off at 10 a.m. on Saturday, May 27 from Seekonk High School and ends at Dr. Kevin Hurley Middle School.
After the parade, there will be hot dogs and hamburgers at American Legion Post # 311 on 351 Fall River Avenue.
PHOTO: Fleet W/flickr
Avenue of Flags at Pawtuxet Memorial Park in Warwick
The Avenue of Flags at Pawtuxet Memorial Park in Warwick consists of over 300 American flags lining the streets in the park.
Hours for the Avenue of Flags are 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. starting on Saturday and ending on Monday.
It is FREE.
Memorial Day Service at Togus National Cemetery
Togus National Cemetery will host a traditional Memorial Day Service on Monday, May 29 beginning at 8 a.m.
The service will pay tribute to fallen soldiers, sailors, airmen, and marines with a wreath laying ceremony and much more.
PHOTO: Togus National Cemetery/ nps.gov
Pawtucket Veterans' Council Ceremony
The Pawtucket Veterans' Council Ceremony will take place on Monday, May 29 at 11 a.m. at Veterans Memorial Park at Roosevelt Avenue and Exchange Street.
Events will be led by Capt. James Hollis, Commander Raymond Welch, Penny Trottier, Bob Balthazard, president of the Fleet Reserve, John Gallo, Maurice Trottier, Leo Courtois and Ted Gerrard. Commander Jack Lucas will act as emcee.
North Providence Parade
North Providence, RI
The North Providence Memorial Day Parade begins at 1 p.m. on Monday, May 29 starting at North Providence High School on Mineral Spring Avenue and ending at Governor John Notte Jr. Park.
The parade will be followed by a short ceremony and then food and entertainment in the park from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m.
Battleship Cove Memorial Day Ceremony
Fall River, MA
Battleship Cove in Fall River will host an observance at noon on Monday, May 29 to honor and remember the men and women who dedicated and dedicate their lives to protecting the country.
The ceremony will consist of the raising of the flag from half-staff as well as a 21 gun salute.
The ceremony is FREE and open to the public.
In 1868, the United States government formally instituted Memorial Day as a national remembrance of the fallen soldiers from the Civil War of 1861-1865.
At Mystic Seaport, Decoration Day ceremonies are set in 1876. In the morning, visitors are invited to the Fishtown Chapel to witness the memorials laid for local Civil War soldiers.
At midday, all are welcome inside the Greenmanville Church for a brief service complete with sermon and hymns. A colour guard will lead everyone to the waterfront, where wreaths are laid for the artillery and the Navy.
In the afternoon, there will be a presentation by the musicians of the Museum’s Chantey Program illustrating the different roles of music on the home-front, in camp, and on the field – or sea – of battle during wartime.
Memorial Day Remembrance at Hubbardton Battle Field
At noon on Monday, May 29, battlefield flags will be raised to full-mast and tribute will be paid at the battle monument to the soldiers of Hubbardton.
The ceremony will go from 12 p.m. to 12:15 p.m.
Shrewsbury Memorial Day Parade
The Shrewsbury Memorial Day Parade will start at 9:30 a.m. on Monday from the Richard Carney Municipal Office Building and will make several stops along the way.
The parade stops at the Soldier's Statue in front of the Police Station on Maple Ave, the War Memorial at the Town Center and at the Veterans Lot at Mountain View Cemetery.
Following the parade, there will be a keynote address from retired Army Colonel John P. Collins (pictured).
Veterans Memorial Day Cruise
Celebrate Memorial Day on the water with this Memorial Day cruise on the Songo River Queen II.
Veterans or Active Duty Service men or women, and their immediate family get on for free.
The cruise goes from 3 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Free Admission for Vets to Tower Hill Botanic Gardens
Tower Hill Botanic Garden is allowing veterans and military personnel in for free on Memorial Day with a valid military ID.
Up to five family members will receive 20 percent off their entry fee.
Visitors can enjoy the spring blooms of the gardens, hikes through the surrounding woodlands, the fully accessible Garden Within Reach, views of Mt. Wachusett, art exhibits, the Garden Shop, Twigs Cafe, the Wild Rumpus Stickwork Exhibit by internationally renowned artist Patrick Dougherty, and more.
- Memorial Day Events in Rhode Island 2012
- Easy, Healthy + Delicious Memorial Day Recipes
- Memorial Day Events in Rhode Island 2013
- Modern Manners + Etiquette: White Before Memorial Day + More
- NEW: Memorial Day Message from Angel Taveras
- On With Summer ! : The Memorial Day Weekend Weather Outlook
- Memorial Day Events in Rhode Island
- Tom Finneran: The Real Memorial Day
- Carol Anne Costa: Memorial Day - In the Shadow of a Fractured VA
- Memorial Day - the Cost of War
- Pet Safety Tips for Memorial Day Weekend Travel
- RI Filmmaker Sorensen to Honor Vietnam Vets at Memorial Day Gala in D.C.
- Over 37 Million Americans Expected to Travel this Memorial Day
- Carol Anne Costa: Memorial Day—A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words
- Fun Things to Do in Rhode Island During Memorial Day Weekend
- Memorial Day Events in Rhode Island 2014
- Newport Manners & Etiquette: Fun Memorial Day Weekend Dates + Sailing Into Summer In Seersucker
- Smart Benefits: Veterans Exempt from Employee Count Under ACA
- Guest MINDSETTER ™ Walter S. Felag, Jr: RI Senate’s Ongoing Commitment to RI Veterans
- OSDRI Releases Schedule of Events Around Veterans Day
- Veterans Group Blasts Rhode Island Homeless Coalition
- 2015 Rhode Island Veterans Day Events
- Researchers at RI Hospital Discover Trend Among Veterans Fatally Overdosing
- Gilbane Building Co. Gets Contract For New Veterans Home
- Carol Anne Costa: Every Day Is Veterans Day
- DON’T MISS: Veterans Day Events in Rhode Island 2013
- CVS Caremark Charity Classic Hosts Golf Clinics For Veterans
- Operation Stand Down Rhode Island Awarded Grant to Help Veterans Obtain Employment
- OSDRI Serves Over 100 Thanksgiving Dinners to Veterans and Families
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Santos: America’s Veterans, Her Forsaken Sons and Daughters
- Rep. Lancia’s Non-Profit Promising Veterans Jobs Has $700 After Seven Years
- Donald Trump Details Distribution of $5.6 Million Raised for Veterans
- Operation Stand Down RI to Donate Coats & Winter Clothing to at Risk Veterans
- 2016 Rhode Island Veterans Day Events
- Dear President Paxson, Your Intolerance of Veterans is Unacceptable