2017’s Best & Worst Cities for Singles - See Where Providence Ranks
Tuesday, November 14, 2017
According to a new study completed by WalletHub, Providence is ranked as the 62nd best city for singles in the U.S. in the country.
“More than 45 percent of the U.S. adult population is unmarried, according to the latest U.S. Census Bureau estimates. But the share may be higher or lower in every city, and the ratio of women to men also will differ in each,” said WalletHub.
- 156th Best - Economics
- 87th Best - Fun & Recreation
- 24th Best - Dating Opportunities
Providence is ranked behind Virginia Beach, Virginia and Garden Grove, California who ranked 60th and 61st respectively.
Providence ranks ahead of Charlotte, North Carolina and San Bernardino, California who rank 63rd and 64th respectively.
San Francisco, California is ranked as the best city in the country for singles, while South Burlington, Vermont is ranked as the worst.
See the Full Rankings in the Map Below
In order to determine the best cities for singles, WalletHub’s analysts compared 182 cities — including the 150 most populated U.S. cities, plus at least two of the most populated cities in each state — across three key dimensions: 1) Economics, 2) Fun & Recreation and 3) Dating Opportunities.
They evaluated those dimensions using 32 relevant metrics. Each metric was graded on a 100-point scale, with a score of 100 representing the most favorable conditions for singles.
Finally, they determined each city’s weighted average across all metrics and used the resulting scores to rank-order our sample.
Economics - Total Points: 25
- Restaurant-Meal Costs: Full Weight (~ 1.72 Points)
- Average Beer & Wine Price: Full Weight (~ 1.72 Points)
- Average Cocktail Price: Full Weight (~ 1.72 Points)
- Average Price for Two-Person Meal: Full Weight (~ 1.72 Points)
- Movie Costs: Full Weight (~ 1.72 Points)
- Taxi-Fare Cost: Half Weight (~ 0.86 Points)
- Beauty-Salon Costs: Full Weight (~ 1.72 Points)
- Haircut Costs: Full Weight (~ 1.72 Points)
- Average Price per Party Ticket: Full Weight (~ 1.72 Points)
- Average Monthly Fitness-Club Fee: Full Weight (~ 1.72 Points)
- Median Annual Household Income: Full Weight (~ 1.72 Points)
- Housing Affordability: Full Weight (~ 1.72 Points)
- Job Growth Rate: Full Weight (~ 1.72 Points)
- Unemployment Rate: Full Weight (~ 1.72 Points)
- Overall Well-Being Index: Full Weight (~ 1.72 Points)
Fun & Recreation- Total Points: 25
- Number of Attractions: Full Weight (~ 2.08 Points)
- Restaurants per Capita*: Full Weight (~ 2.08 Points)
- Coffee Shops per Capita*: Full Weight (~ 2.08 Points)
- Parks per Capita: Full Weight (~ 2.08 Points)
- Nightlife Options per Capita*: Full Weight (~ 2.08 Points)
- Shopping Centers per Capita*: Full Weight (~ 2.08 Points)
- Wellness Centers & Spas per Capita*: Full Weight (~ 2.08 Points)
- Fitness Centers per Capita*: Full Weight (~ 2.08 Points)
- City Accessibility: Full Weight (~ 2.08 Points)
- Walkability: Full Weight (~ 2.08 Points)
- Weather: Full Weight (~ 2.08 Points)
- Safety: Full Weight (~ 2.08 Points)
Dating Opportunities – Total Points: 50
- Share of Single Population: Double Weight (~ 12.50 Points)
- Singles Gender Balance: Double Weight (~ 12.50 Points)
- Online Dating Opportunities: Full Weight (~ 6.25 Points)
- Mobile Dating Opportunities: Full Weight (~6.25 Points)
- “Most Active Tinder Users” Ranking: Double Weight (~ 12.50 Points)
Related Slideshow: 25 New England Labor Day Weekend Getaways - 2018
Need to relax and refresh after a busy summer?
Spoil yourself with one of Revival's luxuriously therapeutic services and reinvigorate yourself.
For something completely different, Mystic Aquarium is a fun destination for a day trip that includes playing with starfish, a Sea Lion Show, seeing penguins and so much more.
North Conway, New Hampshire
For the leaf peepers, the best time to visit the White Mountains is right at the beginning of October, as that is when the fall foliage is at its peak.
The hotel provides great rooms with amazing mountain and cliff views.
This Bed & Breakfast is located right in the historic district of Newport, Rhode Island. Each room is unique and complete with amenities like imported linens, spa showers, and fireplaces. It’s just steps away from the Newport Cliff Walk, providing excellent views of the Atlantic. Don’t miss the seasonal gourmet breakfast!
Across Southern New England
The Coastal Wine Trail is a nonprofit group of 14 wineries that are spread throughout Southeastern New England.
Vineyards on the trail include Preston Ridge Vineyard in Preston Connecticut, Travessia Winery in New Bedford, Massachusetts, Westport Rivers Vineyard & Winery in Westport, Massachusetts and Coastal Vineyards in South Dartmouth, Massachusetts.
The heart of the trail is less than three hours from New York City and 90 minutes from Boston.
Check out the super cool Boston Museum of Science and their brand new space exploration exhibit.
You're guaranteed to be in the museum all day and likely never get bored.
All exhibits are open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday through Thursday and 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. on Friday.
Need your fix of Sam Adams Oktoberfest?
Take a FREE tour of Sam Adams Brewery, and see where some of the best beer is made. Learn about the history of Sam Adams beer, how it's made, experience the entire craft brew process, and of course, try some samples.
The tour departs every 45 minutes and lasts about an hour.
Block Island, RI
It may be fall, but it is not too late to get over to Block Island and explore all that it has to offer.
To make it easier to get around, rent a bike
Block Island features 17 miles of pristine beaches, protected by lighthouses and spectacular bluffs, and surrounded by rolling roads and winding paths.
Newport Vineyards is in prime wine-making season, making the fall one of the best times of year to go visit.
Taste some great wine, and then grab lunch or dinner at Brix restaurant.
What is cooler than riding a Segway around the city of Boston? It is hard to think of something.
A one-hour tour cost $60, while a two-hour tour will cost you $90, but you will see Boston in a different way than ever before.
Boston Segway tours are located at 364 Boylston street.
If you’re a couple that digs the art scene, a trip to Burlington, VT to spend a nice weekend at Made INN Vermont may be right up your alley. A self-proclaimed “urban-chic, historic” B&B, their rooms have one wall painted with black chalkboard paint (and come with colored chalk) so you can add your own personal decorations.They also come with rotating vintage toys, vinyl albums, and vintage art for guests to enjoy.
Each morning guests are treated to a gourmet, cooked-to-order Vermont breakfast that supports local farms and producers. On top of all of this, they boast views of downtown Burlington, Lake Champlain, and the Adirondack Mountain
North Adams, Massachusetts
What was once a series of dilapidated Victorian-era row houses, is now one of the most innovative and romantic hotels in the Berkshires.
As part of the Massachusetts Museum of Modern Art (MassMoCA), The Porches Inn features unique designs and bold colors, while still paying homage to the generations of mill workers' families who once lived there.
Set directly in the middle of the White Mountains and Lake District of New Hampshire, this finely decorated 1896 Victorian house provides a desirable intimate and cozy getaway.
With six bedrooms, five of which are pet -friendly, as well as six custom suites that include double whirlpool baths, the Glynn House provides for couples who are interested in romantic adventures or a laid-back weekend.
North Adams, MA
The Massachusetts Museum of Contemporary Art features art exhibits such as "Here Comes the Sun,' "Free Roses" and so much more.
The Museum is open from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Wednesday through Monday.
Cape Cod, MA
Take a Whale Watching trip near Monomoy Island on a 90-minute tour led by ferry captain, Keith Lincoln.
The tour also features a view of the Monomoy Lighthouse and a great chance of spotting sea ducks and maybe a white-tailed deer on the beach.
Passengers experience a sense of adventure and history on the Mount Washington Cog Railway's 3-hour guided train tour to the highest peak in the Northeast.
With approximately one hour to spend at the 6,288 foot summit, visitors can take in the spectacular panoramic view, spanning the mountains and valleys of New Hampshire, Maine and Vermont, north into Canada, and east to the Atlantic Ocean.
Take a trip to Old Sturbridge Village as they celebrate Charlotte's Webb and much more.
This production is a reinvented version of the story, set in a timeless New England era that honors the 1830s but with a modern license to breathe fresh air into the story.
In addition to the performance, tour the Village for a “Charlotte’s Web Summer” where you can visit their adorable piglets, see costumed historians re-constructing the Allen Piggery, weaving and spinning yarn, blacksmithing, farming, making tin objects, and demonstrating other aspects of 19th-century life, and special exhibits.
Allagash Brewing Company offers FREE beer tasting every day that they are open. Participants receive four, 3 oz samples of beer during the tastings.
The tastings do change every few days.
A beautiful brick estate in the Berkshires of Lenox, MA, the Cranwell Resort is great for luxury. As a guest there, you have the option of pre-ordering treats for your room like chocolate covered strawberries, locally brewed beers, and flowers – or maybe a pleasant surprise for your significant other. There are plenty of dining options that strive to use fresh and locally produced ingredients.
With options for golf, skiing, and ice skating, Cranwell is a great option for anyone and for pretty much any time of the season.
The 9 million sq. ft resort and casino gives you and your friends or significant other plenty to do on your getaway. Gamble, see a show, play golf (weather permitting) or just relax in the hotel and spa area.
The Fruitlands Museum offers four galleries of New England history set on 200 acres of land with 2.5 miles of walking trails woven into it for folks to enjoy the scenery.
Who doesn't love Teddy Bears? Assuming that you do, plan a trip to Vermont and take a tour of the Vermont, Teddy Bear Factory and see how the bears are made.
Tours run seven days a week and children under 12 are FREE. The tours take about an hour and 15 minutes.
For just $5, you can take a tour of Harpoon Brewery, and see everything that goes into making beer. That $5 also includes beer tasting.
Pamper your mind, body, and soul at the Daniel Webster Inn and Spa.
Head over to the nearby Heritage Museum and Gardens for some wonderful exhibits.
One of the more popular attractions is the Carousel Gallery.
The working carousel was designed by Charles Looff in 1908. Rides are unlimited with the price of admission.
Head over and check out the plaques of some of the greatest players in basketball history, and so much more.
The Hall of Fame is open Wednesday to Friday 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Saturday 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Sunday 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- 2016’s Best & Worst Cities for Singles - How Does Providence Rank
- NEW: Providence Ranked 10th in US for Singles
- Providence 15th Best American City for Singles
- Kraft Foods Recalls Kraft American Singles Pasteurized Prepared Cheese Product
- See How Providence Ranks for Singles
- NEW: Providence Ranked #6 Best Small City in U.S. for Filmmakers
- NEW: Providence Ranked 11th Best City for Shopping Local During Holiday Season
- Providence Ranked in the Top 50 for Soccer Fans
- Providence Ranked as 38th Best City for Hockey Fans in US
- Providence Ranked #13 For Rudeness by Travel + Leisure
- Providence Ranked as One of U.S.’ Most Diverse Communities, Warwick Among Least
- NEW: Providence Ranked Worst City For People With Disabilities
- GoLocalTV: Providence Ranked 28th for Fitness, Elorza Calls for Improvement
- Providence Ranked 4th Most LGBT-Friendly City in U.S.
- Providence Ranked as 3rd Worst City to Retire
- Providence Ranked as One of Most Affordable Cities to Buy a Used Car
- Providence Ranked 130th in the U.S. for Families
- Providence Ranked Among Worst Cities for Renters in U.S.
- Providence Ranked Near Bottom for 1st Time Home Buyers
- Providence Ranked 2nd Worst City to Retire in U.S.
- Providence Ranked Among Worst Real-Estate Markets in U.S., Says New Study
- Providence Ranked Among Slowest Growing Cities in U.S.
- Providence Ranked as 7th Worst for Driving in U.S. Out of 200 Cities
- Providence Ranked One of Worst Cities in U.S. for Bugs
- Providence Ranked 23rd Most Fun City in U.S.