slides: 2016 Rhode Island Veterans Day Events
Friday, November 11, 2016
With that said, Veterans Day is when we appreciate everything the men and women of the armed forces have sacrificed and have done for our country, and there are plenty of ways to do so.
From Providence, to Pawtucket to Newport, Veterans day events are going on all over the state of Rhode Island, honoring those who have served, as well as their families.
The events range from parades to 5K's to cemetery dedication's and much more.
Thank you veterans!
For a list of events, see the slideshow below.
Related Slideshow: 2016 RI Veterans Day Events
The ceremony will begin at noon by the flagpole on Brown University's College Green across from Rhode Island Hall.The ceremony is open to the public.
The ceremony will then proceed to the Ruth J. Simmons Quad, for a wreath-laying ceremony followed by addresses by Brown and Rhode Island communities and a slideshow to honor veterans.
The 4th Annual Park View Veterans Day 5k run/walk as well as a 1 mile kids run will be held at Roger Williams Park starting at 8:30 a.m. with a kids run, and then the 5K taking place at 9:30 a.m.
All proceeds from the event benefit Operation Stand Down RI.
Awards include race t-shirts to the first 700 entrants to the race. Guaranteed race T-shirts to all online registrations. Cash awards of $100 will be given to the overall 1st place male and female.
The ceremony at the Rhode Island Veterans Home begins at 11:30 a.m.
Rhode Island Governor Gina Raimondo will be one of the guests.
Ceremony at Newport City Hall
The ceremony just in front of the Newport City Hall kicks off at 11 a.m. and will feature the Newport Artillery Company, local veterans' organizations, Rogers High School Army JROTC Viking Battalion, city and legislative officials and much more.
Ceremonies at Veterans' Park Bridgeway, Pascoag will begin at 11 a.m.
The ceremony is being put on by the Burrillville Allied Veterans Council, which includes American Legion Posts 17 and 88, and VFW Post 1023,
The Veterans Day Parade will take place starting from Academy Field and will go to First Avenue for a wreath laying ceremony at the corner of Cliff Street. The parade will then go North on Main Street the Town Hall for a closing ceremony.
The parade begins at 10 a.m.and is expected to conclude around 11 a.m.
The Veterans Memorial Museum tells the stories of local service members, while showcasing artifacts and photographs from the military and the wars.
The museum is open from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Veterans Memorial Park in Pawtucket will hold a wreath laying ceremony to honor veterans starting at 11 a.m.
There will be a dedication ceremony at the Rhode Island Veterans ceremony starting at 1 p.m. on Saturday.
Those interested in purchasing a brick to remember a veteran can do so by clicking here.
- Gilbane Building Co. Gets Contract For New Veterans Home
- Operation Stand Down Rhode Island Awarded Grant to Help Veterans Obtain Employment
- Researchers at RI Hospital Discover Trend Among Veterans Fatally Overdosing
- Guest MINDSETTER ™ Walter S. Felag, Jr: RI Senate’s Ongoing Commitment to RI Veterans
- Smart Benefits: Veterans Exempt from Employee Count Under ACA
- CVS Caremark Charity Classic Hosts Golf Clinics For Veterans
- DON’T MISS: Veterans Day Events in Rhode Island 2013
- RI Veterans Affairs Partners With RWU To Help Veterans Get Degrees
- NEW: Plans for New RI Veterans Home Get Federal Approval
- Blackstone Valley Tourism Council Announces Veterans Day Events
- Carol Anne Costa: Every Day Is Veterans Day
- OSDRI Releases Schedule of Events Around Veterans Day
- Veterans Group Blasts Rhode Island Homeless Coalition
- For Veterans Some of the Deepest Wounds Are Invisible
- GoLocalTV: Dare to Dream Ranch Supports Veterans in RI
- 25 Ways to Celebrate Veterans in RI & New England
- Donald Trump Details Distribution of $5.6 Million Raised for Veterans
- Rep. Lancia’s Non-Profit Promising Veterans Jobs Has $700 After Seven Years
- Raimondo Names Kasim Yarn as RI’s First Director of Veterans Affairs
- GoLocal’s Nagle Part of Celebrity Bartender Benefit for Veterans This Thursday
- 2015 Rhode Island Veterans Day Events
- OSDRI Serves Over 100 Thanksgiving Dinners to Veterans and Families
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Santos: America’s Veterans, Her Forsaken Sons and Daughters
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Mundy: The Opioid Crisis & Our Veterans - We Must Do Better
- Operation Stand Down RI to Donate Coats & Winter Clothing to at Risk Veterans