Women & Infants Opens Sexual Health Center for Cancer Patients
Monday, February 15, 2016
Women & Infants Hospital has opened an Intimacy and Sexual Health Center for Cancer Patients.
“This is the first program in the region to address sexuality in a comprehensive, holistic manner. This is an important quality of life issue for women that we want to help them through," said Katina Robison, MD, medical director of WISH and assistant professor of obstetrics and gynecology at The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University.
The Center will include a team of caregivers that will provide help and hope or women with intimacy issues as a side effect of battling cancer and undergoing treatment for it.
The program will include specialists in the following areas:
- Breast and gynecologic health specialists.
- Medical oncologists.
- Nurse practitioners.
- Sex therapists.
- Physical therapists specializing in pelvic floor issues.
Sexual Intimacy Issues
Difficulties with intimacy can occur both during and after cancer treatment. The difficulties can include:
- Vaginal dryness, itching or burning.
- Pain during intercourse.
- Decreased desire or less pleasure during intercourse.
- Changes in body image as a result of surgery or the effects of treatment.
Women seeking help with intimacy concerns need to speak with their oncologist or primary care physician about a referral to the Center. Appointments can be made by calling (401) 453-7520.
Women & Infants Hospital
Women & Infants Hospital of Rhode Island, a Care New England hospital, is one of the nation’s leading specialty hospitals for women and newborns. A major teaching affiliate of The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University for obstetrics, gynecology and newborn pediatrics, as well as a number of specialized programs in women’s medicine, Women & Infants is the 12th largest stand-alone obstetrical service in the country with approximately 8,400 deliveries per year.
- Women & Infants Launches Newborn Safe To Sleep Campaign
- Women & Infants Breast Health Center Launches Survivor Clinic
- Women & Infants: How To Prevent Teen Moms’ Post-Partum Depression
- Women & Infants Offers Advanced Hereditary Testing
- Women & Infants: 8 Tips For Healthy Exercise When Pregnant
- RI Garden Club Donates Greenery to Women & Infants Oncology Dept
- NEW: Women & Infants Doctors Named Tops in the Nation—US News
- NEW: Alex and Ani Releases New Bangle to Benefit Women & Infants
- NEW: Women & Infants Physician Sandra Carson Earns FDA Award
- Sex and the 50-Something Woman—Women & Infants Expert
- NEW: Women & Infants Named Top 100 Hospital For Women
- Women & Infants Tests New DNA Screen For Down Syndrome
- Chico’s Stores To Donate Proceeds To Women & Infants Programs
- Women & Infants Becomes First RI Hospital with Leapfrog Distinction
- Women & Infants to Host Annual Christmas Road Race
- Women & Infants Hospital Announces Menopause Program
- Women & Infants Hospital Wins Women’s Choice Award For 2nd Straight Year
- Women & Infants Hospital Adds Sonali Pandya as a Breast Surgeon
- Women & Infants RI Named Top Hospital for Neonatology
- NEW: Mark R. Marcantano Named President and COO of Women & Infants
- NEW: Women & Infants To Host Free Conference On Women’s Cancers
- Constance Howes To Step Down as CEO of Women & Infants Hospital
- NEW: Women & Infants Named One of America’s Greenest Hospitals
- NEW: Women & Infants’ Staff Earn Awards of Excellence
- NEW: Women & Infants Researcher Uncovers New Genetic Links to Ovarian Cancer
- RI State Police Arrest 8 for Sex Trafficking, Solicitation of a Minor
- Bizarre Phenomenon: Sex Toys Littering Streets Present Hazard To Portland
- Kentucky Clerk Ordered to Jail for Refusing to License Same-Sex Marriages
- 25% of Female Brown Students Reported “Unwanted Sexual Touching” in Survey
- NEW: RI ACLU Defends Sex Offenders Against Law Forcing Them to Move
- Nguyen: Understanding the Logic of the Same-Sex Marriage Decision by SCOTUS
- Sex Trafficking to be Focus of 7th Annual RI State Victim Assistance Academy
- INVESTIGATION: Sex Offender Counseling Center Opens Near Bus Stop, Gun Shop
- Nguyen: Same Sex Marriage Before the Supreme Court: What is at Stake?
- Warwick Neighborhood Outraged over Sex Offender Move Near School
- Convicted Warwick Sex Offender de Weldon Says He is Innocent
- NEW: Warwick’s de Weldon Arrested for Failing to Register as Sex Offender
- ACLU Files Lawsuit Challenging Residency Restriction of Sex Offenders
- St. George’s Sexual Assault Survivors Call For Independent Investigation
- NEW: Episcopal Bishop Apologizes for Sexual Abuse at St. George’s
- Catholic Church Admits Prov. School Aide Arrested for Sexual Assault Worked at Cathedral
- Bill Cosby Receives Criminal Charges for Alleged Sexual Assault
- St. George’s, One of the Richest Prep Schools, Faces Tens of Millions in Lawsuits for Sexual Abuse
- NEW: RI Dance Teacher Pleads Guilty to Sexual Assault of Minor
- NEW: Harmony Fire District Charged With Sex Discrimination by RI ACLU
- NEW: Providence Resident Pleads Guilty to Sex Trafficking
- NEW: RI Hospital Refused to Divulge Name of Employee Accused Sexual Assault