Women & Infants Hospital Named Among Best Hospitals in Country for Cancer Care
Wednesday, February 17, 2016
“We are so proud of this honor and to be recognized again among some of the best hospitals in our country for cancer care. Our Program in Women’s Oncology is one of the nation’s leading services for the diagnosis, treatment and research of women’s cancers. We are very proud that this excellence is being recognized," said Mark R. Marcantano, president and chief operating officer at Women & Infants Hospital.
The designation is the only cancer care award that identifies the country's best health care institutions based on criteria that consider female patient satisfaction, clinical excellence, and what women say they want from a hospital.
“Women have many choices when it comes to cancer care, but now they can make informed choices based on rigorous evidence based criteria. As a cancer survivor who faced a challenging journey to recovery, I wish I had the Women’s Choice Award as a resource to spare me unnecessary fret and error,” said Delia Passi, Founder and CEO of the Women’s Choice Award.
Selected hospitals were given a score based on their patient recommendation rating from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services' Hospital Consumer Assessment for Healthcare Providers and Systems survey.
Additional criteria considered if a hospital offered on site chemotherapy, radiation or hospice, and cancer research activities. Hospitals were penalized for having high infection rates.
Women & Infants Hospital
Women & Infants Hospital of Rhode Island, a Care New England hospital, is one of the nation’s leading specialty hospitals for women and newborns. A major teaching affiliate of The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University for obstetrics, gynecology and newborn pediatrics, as well as a number of specialized programs in women’s medicine, Women & Infants is the 12th largest stand-alone obstetrical service in the country and the largest in New England with approximately 8,500 deliveries per year.
2015 RI Hospital Safety Scores
Below are snapshota of the patient safety scores for nine Rhode Island hospitals, as compiled by Leapfrog.com, for 2015.
For more information -- and other category criteria -- go to the scorecard website here to find out more about each hospital's rankings.
- NEW: Lloyd’s Hat Trick Leads U.S. Women to World Cup Win
- U.S. Women’s Soccer Set For World Cup Final Against Japan
- Providence’s #300 Women Announces New Board
- Reading With Robin on Women’s Wellness Day
- U.S. Women’s Soccer Advances, World Cup Final Awaits
- Personal Tech for Women: 5 Things to Know About Female Leads in Video Gaming
- 12th Annual Women in Business Luncheon Set For June 30
- Personal Tech for Women: 5 Things to Know About What Women Want in a Gadget
- Personal Tech for Women: 5 Things to Know About Being More Screen-Free
- YWCA Rhode Island Announces 11th Annual Women of Achievement Honorees
- Guest MINDSETTER ™ Jenn Steinfeld: Women and the Right to Vote
- Brown Women’s Soccer Coach Pincince to Retire After Season
- Women & Infants Opens Sexual Health Center for Cancer Patients
- NEW: Women & Infants Researcher Uncovers New Genetic Links to Ovarian Cancer
- Cheat Sheet 28, FBI Files: Bobby Kennedy, Money and Women to Notte, and Bombing
- FBI Files - The Patriarca Papers - Entry 28 (Patriarca Paid Off Gov Notte With Money and Women)
- Urban Bush Women Coming to Providence
- Women & Infants Hospital Adds Sonali Pandya as a Breast Surgeon
- Women & Infants Hospital Wins Women’s Choice Award For 2nd Straight Year
- YWCA to Hold 11th Annual Women of Achievement Awards Luncheon Sept. 29
- RI’s Meehan Becomes All-Time Leading Scorer For Boston College Women’s Soccer
- Women & Infants Hospital Announces Menopause Program
- Brown Theatre Completes All-Women Roster of Directors for 2015-16