Shape Up RI Promises Even More Ways For RI to Get Fit in 2013
Friday, January 11, 2013
Shape Up RI
Founded in 2005 by Dr. Rajiv Kumar based on his belief that the solution to healthy living lies in the power of teamwork and peer support, Shape Up RI is a statewide exercise and weight loss challenge. This grassroots health campaign encourages Rhode Islanders to pursue healthy lifestyles through increased physical activity and better nutrition. Over the past 7 years, more than 70,000 Rhode Islanders have participated in this evidence-based program, walking millions of miles, losing thousands of pounds, and proving that teamwork is a powerful prescription for taking control of our health.
New for 2013
As late 2012, the Shape Up RI program became wholly-owned and operated by ShapeUp Inc., a health technology company that Kumar co-founded 6 years ago. During a challenging economic time for non-profit organizations, this change ensures that the Shape Up RI program will survive as a valuable and affordable community resource for the thousands of individuals, families, and companies who depend on it each year to help them get or stay healthy. Kumar continues to lead the statewide campaign, "and I am unbelievably excited about the future of Shape Up RI," he said.
ShapeUp Inc.’s significant financial and human resources will allow the Shape Up RI program to expand and improve in substantial ways. New enhancements that are being made to the program for 2013 include:
- Extended Programming 12-months of healthy activities and challenges, including three eight-week fitness competitions
- Lower Price Just $25 for the entire year, including a digital pedometer
- Enhanced Platform New user interface, social features, nutrition programs, and wireless device and mobile capabilities
- Healthy Events Due to popular demand another annual calendar of free, local, healthy events
- Incentives & Rewards Fun incentives and healthy rewards through weekly raffles for active participation
- Online Coaching Opportunities to sign up for extra support and motivation from trained and certified fitness coaches
- Employer Tools More robust marketing materials and reporting tools for employer clients
- Larger Staff A team of over 60 employees supporting the development, promotion, and management of the program
Also, new for 2013, the following upgrades for Rhode Islanders:
3 team fitness challenges
In the past, Shape Up RI participants competed in a single, 12-week walking and exercise challenge. In 2013, the program is now year round, including three 8-week, team challenges. This is fantastic for the residents of Rhode Island – friendly competition will keep the population conscientious about their health all year round.
Weekly bonus challenges
In addition to longer, team challenges, the platform now invites participates to try out weekly, bonus challenges. Bonus challenges are designed to expose people to new healthy activities and habits, for example “Relax for 5 minutes,” “Bring a lunch to work,” and “Turn off the TV while you eat.
Weekly raffles and prizes
Each week, participants will be eligible to win healthy prizes, like fitbit pedometers and $100 gift certificates to Whole Foods.
Shape Up RI membership and discount card
Everyone who signs up for Shape Up RI will also receive a membership card, giving them discounts to local businesses across the state, access to fitness classes, and admission to community events.
Registration for the 2013 programs is open right now, and the competition starts on Monday, February 4th. For more, go to www.shapeupri.org.
- Shape Up RI 5K to Benefit Girls on the Run RI
- Shape Up RI Announces 2011 Campaign
- Shape Up RI Launches New Family Program
- Shape Up RI’s Summer Nutrition & Fitness Programs
- Biggest Loser Rudy Pauls Coming to RI for Shape Up RI Kick-Off
- Cox, Shape Up RI Create New ‘Marathon’ for Kids