See the List: RI Hospitals and Surgeons with Highest Complication Rates
Friday, July 17, 2015
SEE SLIDES BELOW: RI Hospitals and Surgeons with Highest Complication Rates
Marshal Allen and Olga Pierce of ProPublica wrote of the national trends, “As would be expected, overall complication rates were relatively low, ranging from 2 percent to 4 percent, depending on the type of surgery. But experts who reviewed ProPublica’s results say they strongly suggest that the typical surgeon’s rate can and should be significantly lower. The evidence: Some 756 surgeons who each did at least 50 operations did not record a single complication in the five years covered by the analysis. Another 1,423 had only one.”
The hospitals that participated in at least one procedure in Rhode Island included
See slides below to see what procedures resulted in complications at these hospitals
Related Slideshow: RI Hospitals, Surgeons with Highest Complication Rates During Routine Medicare Procedures
ProPublica used Medicare data from 2009-2013 to identify cases where a patient died in the hospital or had to be readmitted within 30 days for a problem related to one of the procedures below. ProPublica calculated complication rates for surgeons, and accounted for differences in patient health, age and hospital quality. These rates are calculated using data from Medicare records, which do not include patients with private insurance or in another program like Medicaid. (Note: Some surgeons are listed more than once. A surgeon’s rate spans all hospitals at which he or she operates and is not unique to a given hospital).
The adjusted complication rate is measured by "the rate of complications, adjusting for several variables, including performance of the hospital and the health and age of surgeon's patients."
Definitions (Source: Pro Publica):
Knee replacement - Replace diseased knee joint with an artificial knee.
Hip replacement - Replace diseased hip joint with an artificial hip joint.
Lumbar Spinal Fusion, Posterior Technique - The fusing of two or more vertebrae in the lower back, performed on the back portion of the spine.
Lumbar Spinal Fusion, Anterior Techique - The fusing of two or more vertebrae in the lower back, performed on the front portion of the spine.
Gallbladder Removal, Laparoscopic - Minimally invasive gallbladder removal. This is performed most commonly when gallstones are blocking the flow of bile.
Prostate Removal - The removal of the entire prostate gland via the open or laparoscopic or robotic method. Usually performed to treat prostate cancer.
Prostate Resection - The resection and removal of a portion of the prostate through the urethra. This is most commonly done because of an enlarged prostate that may be restricting the flow of urine.
9 hospitals in Rhode Island performed this procedure on Medicare patients
2 have at least one surgeon with a high complication rate.
1. South County Hospital
Ramin Tabaddor - 24 procedures, 3.1% adjusted rate of complications
2. Roger Williams Medical Center
Ira Singer -- 29 procedures, 3% adjusted rate of complications
- NEW: HEALTH Reports Measles Exposure at Two Providence Hospitals
- Coming Wednesday: New England’s Best Hospitals Rated By Patients
- Top 10 Hospitals in Vermont Rated By Patients
- Top 10 Hospitals in New Hampshire Rated By Patients
- RI Hospitals Report Card: A to F
- PODCAST: New England’s Best Hospitals Rated By Patients
- Top 10 Hospitals in Massachusetts Rated By Patients
- Methodology: Best Hospitals in New England Rated By Patients
- CHART: New England’s Best Hospitals Rated By Patients
- RI Hospitals With the Highest Complication Rates
- Rhode Island’s Best Hospitals - New US Ranking
- NEW: Women & Infants Named One of America’s Greenest Hospitals
- Top 10 Hospitals in Connecticut Rated By Patients
- Top 10 Hospitals in Maine Rated By Patients
- PODCAST: Hospitals Account for 440K Preventable Deaths Annually
- See the List: New England’s 50 Best Hospitals Rated By Patients
- Hospitals Account for Estimated 440K Preventable Deaths Annually
- Are RI Hospitals Ready for an Ebola Outbreak?
- RI Hospitals’ Emergency Times Among Worst in US
- New England’s Best Hospitals Rated By Patients
- Top 10 Hospitals in Rhode Island Rated By Patients
- RI State Report: Big Money For Rhode Island’s Hospitals + Coast
- New Surgical Safety Rankings Rate Rhode Island Hospitals