PowerPlayer: Dr. Michael Fine
Monday, March 14, 2011
1. You've just changed roles. What's your new post, and how's that going?
Interim Director of the Rhode Island Department of Health.
2. Take us through a day in your life.
Usually starts with the morning huddle at DOH. Lots of meetings at DOH , the State House, and sometimes site visits to community health centers and other health care facilities. Lots of learning, lots of phone calls, and lots of email. There is no better or smarter set of public servants than those at HEALTH (other than those at DOC). Then I go over to DOC in the afternoon, for meetings, to review cases and answer inmate letters and families’ phone calls. I've been finishing up between 730 and 8 pm, and get to take all sorts of interesting reading home.
3. If you hadn't heard, Rhode Island is small, which means everyone seems to know what everyone else is doing. Are you conscious of your role as a public figure? No.
Trying to do two jobs at once.
5. If you could change one thing about the state, what would it be?
The amount of sick time state employees get and how it is structured, which impairs our collective effectiveness.
6. Tell us something nobody knows about you.
I stopped being a Yankees fan when George Steinbrenner fired Reggie Jackson. Steinbrenner died last year, and Jackson became a Yankees VP, but I still bear a grudge. A good grudge is hard to find.
Role Model: Lucuis Garvin, MD
Favorite Restaurant: 1. Sue's 2. Cindy's
Best Beach: Misquamicut
Best Book You’ve Read In The Last Year: Anna Karenina
Advice For The Next Michael Fine: There is nothing to fear but fear itself.
- 15,000 RI Small Businesses Eligible for New Health Care Benefit
- 4 Bad Health Habits to Break Today
- A Healthy Option for Small Businesses in 2011
- AG Candidates Decry Health Insurance Rate Hikes
- All Marijuana Compassion Center Applications Rejected by Department of Health
- BREAKING NEWS: Health Dept. Director Resigns
- Bradley Hospital to Host Health Fair for Special Needs Families
- Candidates on the Biggest Health Care Issues Facing RI
- Candidates, Activists Go the Extra Mile for Health, Environment
- Carcieri, Lynch Battle Over Health Care Reform
- Chafee Appoints Interim Director for Health Dept.
- Chafee Keeps Koller as Health Insurance Commissioner
- Chafee Officially Establishes Health Care Commission
- Chafee Picks Roberts for Health Care Task Force
- Cicilline Announces Federal Help for Dell Health Care Employees
- Computer Keyboards Could Be Bad for Your Health
- Dannon to Pay $21 Million to Settle Yogurt Health Claims
- Federal Officials Coming to RI to Explain Health Reform
- NEW: Former RI Health Dept. Director Gets DC Job
- National Study: RI Ready for Health Disaster
- PowerPlayer: Allan Fung
- PowerPlayer: Ed Pacheco