video: PBS to Air Heroin Overdose Documentary and Discussion on Thursday
Wednesday, April 02, 2014
Airing Thursday, April 3, at 9 p.m., No Hero in Heroin will present a spectrum of perspectives on the story. Health officials, addiction counselors, recovering addicts, and family members put the intimate, human faces on the startling statistics. Since January 1, there have been almost 70 overdose deaths Rhode Island, more than twice as many as last year.
Produced by WSBE Rhode Island PBS and hosted by Margie O’Brien, No Hero in Heroin will include filmed segments and two in-studio discussions.
- Dr. Michael Fine, director of the RI Department of Health
- Fred Trepassi, director of Phoenix House
- Michelle McKenzie, director of the Prevent Overdose and Naxolone Intervention at Miriam Hospital
- Steve Reid and Abbie Stenberg, former addicts
- Jim Gillen, director of Anchor Recovery
- Dr. Peter Friedmann, Lifespan Alcohol & Addiction Studies
- Craig Stenning, Department of Behavioral Healthcare at the RI Department of Health
- Elise Reynolds, who lost two sons to overdose
Off camera during the one-hour broadcast of No Hero in Heroin, drug abuse counselors will staff a phone bank to answer viewers’ questions about intervention and treatment referrals, and other addiction recovery information.
WSBE Rhode Island PBS transmits standard-definition (SD) and high-definition (HD) programming over the air on digital 36.1; on Rhode Island cable services: Cox 08 / 1008HD, Verizon FiOS 08 / 508HD, Full Channel 08; on Massachusetts cable services: Comcast 819HD, Verizon 18 / 518HD; on satellite: DirecTV 36 / 3128HD, Dish Network 36.
WSBE Learn transmits over the air on digital 36.2; on cable: Cox 808, Verizon 478, Full Channel 89, Comcast 294 or 312.
Related Slideshow: Breakdown of Overdose Deaths in RI - 2009 to 2014
- Prison Methadone Policy Sends Inmates Back To Heroin
- Richard Hill: Addressing Opiate Addiction and Overdose In RI
- HIV + Drug Overdose Linked in RI Hospital Study
- NEW: Sen. Jabour Urges RI Police to Carry Narcan to Halt Drug ODs
- Hundreds in Rhode Island Expected to Die from Overdose in 2014
- New Numbers Break Down Pharmaceutical vs. Illicit Drug ODs in RI
- NEW: Chafee Issues Statement on Drug Overdose Deaths in RI
- State Report: Fung’s New Hire, Drug Reform + Fmr. AG Passes Away
- NEW: Rhode Island Has 38 Drug Overdose Deaths So Far in 2014
- War on Drugs Has ‘Catastrophic’ Impact on RI
- NEW: Spike in Drug Overdose Deaths Reported by HEALTH
- PODCAST:Hundreds in RI Expected to Die from Overdose in 2014
- Eleven Arrested, Detained In Alleged Heroin Trafficking Operation
- Rhode Island Drug Overdose Deaths Have Tripled in Past Ten Years