NEW: Warwick Pharmacist Suspended For Unclean Practices
Thursday, January 10, 2013
Richard Mancini, Rph, the pharmacist-in-charge of Pharmerica, located at 83 Vermont Avenue in Warwick, was found to have allowed unlicensed individuals to practice as pharmacy technicians and engage in the compounding of sterile pharmaceutical compounds, according to an inspection by the RI Board of Pharmacy on January 4, 2013.
Mancini was also found to have failed to "maintain the anteroom and sterile room in a clean, sanity and orderly manner," as well as to have failed to "conduct environmental surface and air monitoring for viable microorganisms on a monthly basis," which is required for medium risk sterile compounding.
Mancini also failed to submit documentation that Pharmerica's anteroom meets "the minimum standards of an ISO class 8 environment," and failed to conduct and maintain annual training competencies for staff performing sterile compounding.
Pharmerica in Brockton, MA
Mancini, who also operates the Pharmerica pharmacy in Brockton, MA, was issued a cease and desist on December 27, 2012, regarding compounding of sterile medication and the distribution of compounded sterile medications from that location.
On the next day, he ordered the Brockton compounding to be done in the Warwick Pharmerica, and sterile compound medications were transported from Brockton to Warwick. However, Mancini failed to maintain invoices and records denoting drug transfer.
Based on the above findings, the Department of Health has summarily suspended Mancini's registered pharmacist license. Further, Pharmerica in Warwick is ordered to cease and desist the compounding of any and all sterile pharmaceuticals, as well as hire an external and independent cleaning and/or monitoring entity to perform cleaning of the sterile compounding and anteroom that's in compliance with acceptable standards. It must also hire a new pharmacist.
- NEW: Doc Suspended For Prescribing Narcotics + More For Family
- NEW: RI Doc Suspended for Fondling Elderly Patient
- NEW: East Greenwich MD Suspended For Dangerous Prescriptions
- NEW: East Side Physician Marvin Kerzner MD Suspended From Practice
- NEW: North Providence MD Suspended After Being Found Barricaded in Home with 19 Firearms
- 12 Biggest Healthcare Stories in RI in 2012
- NEW: Nurse Suspended for Over-Prescribing Adderall, Ritalin, Xanax
- First Sex, Then Drugs—Warwick Physician Suspended Second Time
- NEW: Pawtucket Physician Suspended for Involvement in OxyContin ‘Ring’
- NEW: Chiropractor Suspended for Sexually Massaging Young Patient
- NEW: Physician’s Assistant Suspended for Taking Kickbacks
- NEW: Cranston MD Suspended for Prescription Fraud
- NEW: RI Doc Suspended For Prescribing Controlled Meds For His Wife