NEW: RIC Alum Named Top Homecare/Hospice Nurse In RI, Top 50 in US
Wednesday, July 24, 2013
Each year, NAHH invites member organizations to submit a nomination for a nurse who would represent their state. Hjerpe was nominated by the Visiting Nurse Association (VNA) of Rhode Island, where she has worked for more than 30 years.
Hjerpe's "exemplary care" of patients
Nominations must include a story of the nurse’s exemplary care of their patient. Hjerpe’s story focused on her 39-year-old patient, a Latino mother of three who is legally blind. According to Jane Creamer, chief human resources officer and chief operations officer for the VNA, Hjerpe’s patient has a long history of diabetic foot ulcers and cardiac issues. As a result of her health issues and responsibilities of caring for her family, she would often skip meals or make unhealthy dietary choices. Although the patient did speak English, Hjerpe brought in a Spanish interpreter to help the patient plan healthy meals that were more to her liking.
“Hjerpe’s provision of care, which included arranging doctor visits, caring for the patient’s wounds and encouraging the patient’s commitment to the plan of care, has kept her patient out of the hospital for more than six months,” said Creamer.
More honors for Hjerpe
In addition to being selected as one of the top 50 homecare and hospice nurses in the nation, Hjerpe was also nominated as “one of the 10 nurses who inspire other nurses the most.”
Her story and photo will be published in “Caring,” a magazine distributed to all homecare agencies. In October 2013 all 50 awardees will be honored at a ceremony to be held at the association's annual meeting in Washington, DC.
“All of our staff at the VNA are shining stars,” said Creamer. “This is a chance for the nation to know about one particularly bright one.”
- NEW: Rhode Island College to Break Ground on Art Center Renovation Today
- NEW: Two Rhode Island Colleges Named Best Values by Kiplinger
- PowerPlayer: Rhode Island College President Nancy Carriuolo
- Rhode Island College Student Takes Top Prize at Newport Art Museum
- Legendary Rhode Island College Conductor Edward Markward to Retire
- Rhode Island College announces Alexander Sidorkin appointed dean of education school
- NEW: Alex and Ani Donates $1M to Rhode Island College
- Rhode Island College to Host Comic Art Conference
- NEW: Brown University Labeled Best Value of any Rhode Island College
- Rhode Island College to Host Grad Studies Open House
- NEW: Rhode Island College Celebrates Passage of Bond