NEW: OB-GYN Caught Prescribing Large Amounts of Opiates… to Men
Thursday, July 26, 2012
Jorge Ruelos, MD, was found by the Board of Pharmacy to have been prescribing high-dose pain management medication to multiple male patients, "despite a specialty in obstetrics/gynecology," according to a statement from the RI Department of Health (HEALTH).
Ruelos was found to have prescribed the following:
A 797-day supply of various strength Oxycodone IR to a male patient for the 365-day period of 4/29/11 through 4/30/12;
A 669-day supply of Oxycodone IR to a second male patient for the 440-day period of February 7, 2011 to April 23, 2012, including three 30-day prescriptions for Oxycodone IR in the month of April 2012;
A 447-day supply Hydromorphone to the same male patient in the 361-day time period of March 9, 2011 to March 5, 2012;
A 30-day supply of Oxycodone IR to a third male patient on April 27, 2012, and a second prescription for the same drug and directions on April 30, 2012, which the patient filled at different pharmacies;
30-day supplies of each of Hydromorphone and Percoset to the same patient on December 21, 2011 (Ruelos issued the same patient identical prescriptions 19 days later on January 9, 2012, again for a 30-day supply of both medications.);
420-day supply of Hydrocodone to a female patient in the 365-day period of April 22, 2011 to April 21, 2012. This patient has obtained this medication on a chronic basis from 2010 and ongoing.
Ruelos was also found to have prescribed and distributed phentermine (a weight loss medication) "to friends and family without proper monitoring or medical records," for a period of more than 6 months, according to HEALTH.
Ruelos' registration to prescribe controlled substances has been suspended until further notice.
- NEW: Chiropractor Suspended for Sexually Massaging Young Patient
- NEW: Cranston MD Suspended for Prescription Fraud
- NEW: East Side Physician Marvin Kerzner MD Suspended From Practice
- NEW: North Providence MD Suspended After Being Found Barricaded in Home with 19 Firearms
- NEW: Nurse Suspended for Over-Prescribing Adderall, Ritalin, Xanax
- NEW: Pawtucket Physician Suspended for Involvement in OxyContin ‘Ring’
- NEW: Physician’s Assistant Suspended for Taking Kickbacks
- NEW: RI Doc Suspended for Marijuana Abuses, Another Terminated for Facebook Misuse
- NEW: Registered Nurse Suspended for Having Sex with MS Patient