NEW: Memorial Hospital of Rhode Island Joins Care New England
Wednesday, September 04, 2013
“It is very exciting to be at this point, and to officially welcome Memorial Hospital to Care New England,” said Dennis Keefe, president and CEO of CNE. “The system as a whole has been keenly focused on improving the way health care is delivered to our patients and their families. Memorial Hospital and its rich legacy in the Blackstone Valley is an ideal addition to our system.
A New Page for Memorial
Arthur DeBlois III, interim president and CEO of MHRI reflected on the MHRI’s latest chapter stating:
“Memorial has a proud legacy of serving the people of this area and we look forward to continuing to do so as part of the Care New England health system. This new venture for Memorial ensures we will also be able to provide an expanded constellation of specialty services to our patients.”
Donald Grebien, mayor of the City of Pawtucket and a vocal supporter of the affiliation, echoed both Keefe and DeBlois’ enthusiasm.
“For more than a century, Memorial Hospital has been an outstanding community partner with the City of Pawtucket and, most importantly, an outstanding care provider for the people of the city, the Blackstone Valley and beyond. Indeed, in the first annual report for the hospital, its president stated, ‘It was organized and is conducted for the benefit of the community’ and that has been true ever since,” Grebien said.
How the Deal Got Done
The closing came two months after the affiliation received state approval from Director of Health Michael Fine, MD, and Attorney General Peter Kilmartin, capping a collaborative and constructive review process. This process included public review by the Health Services Council as part of the Department of Health’s (DOH) Change in Effective Control review, and review by the DOH at Attorney General’s Office under Rhode Island’s Hospital Conversions Act.
Based on their reviews, state officials determined that the affiliation met the criteria and standards set by state law. Physicians, civic leaders and organizations, businesses, public officials and other members of the community also endorsed the affiliation.
What the Partnership Includes
The new CNE-MHRI partnership includes the organizations’ commitment to provide ongoing clinical excellence through a comprehensive range of services, as well as sustain the strong academic and research programs at MHRI, a community hospital that has served the greater Pawtucket community for more than 125 years. CNE and MHRI envision that their partnership will bring to the expanded and enhanced CNE system:
• Improvement of quality of clinical programs and services
• Patient access to a broader continuum of services over an expanded service area
• Development of signature service lines, including women’s health, behavioral health, primary care, cardiovascular services, and home health
• Maintenance of the strong academic and research platform that is essential to fostering clinical excellence and innovation
• Enhancement of physician recruitment, retention and integration initiatives
• Improvement of facilities, technology and information technology platforms
• Development of an integrated delivery system in which patient care is coordinated across the full continuum of care for population health management
• Operational efficiencies to improve performance and reduce costs
For more information, visit carenewengland.org.
- Women and Infants Participating in National Study of New Fertility Drug
- Care New England Picks New CEO
- NEW: 57 Care New England Docs Named Best Doctors in America 2013
- Women and Infants Physician Appointed President of Professional Society
- TECH10 Winner - Heather Hartman, Care New England
- NEW: Care New England Named Most Wired Healthcare Organization
- Women and Infants Ranked as 26th Best for Gynecology
- NEW: Memorial Hospital Names New President & CEO
- Butler Hospital: Exercise May Improve Parkinson’s Symptoms
- NEW: Centreville Bank Donates Record Amount to Kent Hospital
- Kent Hospital & RI Blood Center: 10,500 Pints Donated
- NEW: Dive Day Puts Families “Underwater” at Kent Hospital
- Kent Hospital Joins Worldwide Stroke Research
- NEW: Kent Hospital Hires 97-year-old Warwick Woman as Greeter
- Kent Hospital’s Course in Medical Terminology
- NEW: RI’s Kent Hospital Announces Advanced Heart Failure Program
- Women’s Wellness Night at Memorial Hospital
- Care New England Launches Statewide Mental Health Collaboration
- NEW: Women & Infants + Kent Hospital Earn 5-Star Rating