Blue Cross & Blue Shield CEO Andruszkiewicz to Retire
Wednesday, October 28, 2015
"It has been a great privilege to have the opportunity to lead Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Rhode Island and to work with such a committed group of employees who care so deeply about the company, our customers and the community. It has long been part of my plan to retire at this point in my life and I am excited about what the next chapter will bring," said Andruszkiewicz.
Andruszkiewicz retirement will end his 35 year career of leadership in the health insurance industry.
"The board of directors is grateful for Peter¹s leadership during the past five years. The board has had a CEO succession planning process in place for several years which it will now execute. Since a thoughtful internal and external search process takes time, we are announcing Peter¹s retirement now. Peter will continue to serve in his role until we can identify a successor. This will ensure a seamless transition to the next leader of Blue Cross," said Randy Wyrofsky, chair of the Blue Cross board.
The board will conduct a national search for Andruszkiewicz's replacement.
Andruszkiewicz came to Blue Cross in 2011 from Kaiser Permante, in integrated health care system. During his time at Blue Cross, Andruszkiewicz helped the company grow its partnerships with providers and align reimbursement with improved quality care and outcomes.
A recent study shows that BCBSRI patients who get their care in a patient centered medical home ha a 16% reduction in inpatient admissions and a 30% reduction in readmissions over a 4 year period.
Before his arrival, Blue Cross recorded a $92 million premium deficiency reserve. By 2014, Blue Cross was able to make its first positive contribution of $22 million to reserves since 2007.
"Peter came to Rhode Island five years ago with a desire to help drive change. While we knew this day would eventually come, Peter leaves the company well positioned for the next leader of Blue Cross," Wyrofsky said.
- NEW: Blue Cross Blue Shield Announces Last Call for Medicare Enrollment
- NEW: RI Free Clinic Gets $75K From Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Smart Benefits: Blue Cross Blue Shield RI Gets Rate Hike Approval
- NEW: Blue Cross Blue Shield RI To Hold Sun Safety Screenings
- NEW: Blue Cross Blue Shield RI Launches Healthcare Education Campaign
- NEW: Blue Cross Fined $250k for Engaging in Improper Rating and Underwriting Practices
- Blue Cross’ ‘Lifestyle Blue’ Plan a Great Fit for Small Business
- NEW: Blue Cross Raises Rates on Businesses
- NEW: Hasbro to Open New Location at Old Blue Cross Building
- NEW: Blue Cross & Blue Shield To Offer Free Blood Pressure Screenings
- NEW: Blue Cross & Blue Shield RI Names First Diversity Officer
- Russ Moore: Who Wins + Who Pays In RI’s $20M Blue Cross Settlement
- NEW: Blue Cross Blue Shield RI Launches Incentive Program for PCPs
- Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Rhode Island Welcomes Two New Executives
- Central Falls Public School Receives $75,000 Grant from Blue Cross/Blue Shield
- Blue Cross & Blue Shield of RI to Host Annual Day of Service
- RI Free Clinic Receives $75,000 Blue Cross & Blue Shield of RI Grant
- NEW: Blue Cross & Blue Shield of RI Scores High in LGBT Equality
- NEW: RI Blue Cross & Blue Shield to Open Retail Store in Warwick
- NEW: Blue Cross Blue Shield RI to Hold Free Sun Safety Screening
- Blue Cross + Blue Shield RI’s Statewide Community Day of Service
- NEW: RI Blue Cross Blue Shield Awards Clinica Esperanza $50,000
- NEW: RI Blue Cross & Blue Shield Launches Bundle Payment Program
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of RI Opens Bristol Retail Location