Miriam Hospital’s Vakharia Riesman Family Excellence in Teaching Award
Sunday, July 16, 2017
The award recognizes a Miriam physician who teaches at The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University. He serves as a clinical assistant professor of surgery at Brown. He serves as a clinical assistant professor of surgery at Brown.
“He has been a leader in teaching residents technical and humanistic aspects. I have worked with Jamsheed since he was an intern and even at that early stage his brilliance and kindness distinguished him as a unique and special caregiver. He extends the same brand of care to everyone with whom he interacts,” said Fred Schiffman, M.D., associate physician-in-chief at The Miriam Hospital and medical director of the Lifespan Cancer Institute.
Vakharia, a Barrington resident, is a 1990 graduate of Aga Khan University Medical School in Karachi, Pakistan, who arrived at The Miriam in 1992 as an intern in surgery and completed his residency in 1998.
He is a former Charles C.J. Carpenter, M.D., Outstanding Physician of the Year honoree.
Riesman Family Excellence in Teaching Award
The Riesman Family Excellence in Teaching Award was created in 2007 by a gift from the Robert A. and Marcia S. Riesman family for the purpose of recognizing excellence in teaching by a Miriam Hospital/Brown Medical School faculty member who is currently and actively involved in the education of medical students, resident physicians and other colleagues.
2015 RI Hospital Safety Scores
Below are snapshota of the patient safety scores for nine Rhode Island hospitals, as compiled by Leapfrog.com, for 2015.
For more information -- and other category criteria -- go to the scorecard website here to find out more about each hospital's rankings.
- You Can ‘Train’ Your Willpower To Lose Weight—Miriam Research
- Coaches Can Help Weight Loss—New Miriam Research
- HIV Therapy Just Got Easier—Miriam Research
- 10 Ways To Stay Healthy + Fit This Summer—Miriam Experts
- Texting Too Much Linked To Lower College GPAs—Miriam Research
- Young Men At Risk For Erectile Dysfunction—Miriam Experts
- Nearly 25% of Female College Freshmen Smoke Hookah—Miriam Study
- Obesity Gene Dictates Food Choices—Miriam Research
- Type 2 Diabetes Linked To Blood Cancers—Miriam Research
- Miriam’s Peter Karczmar MD Named Physician of the Year
- NEW: RI Hospital, Miriam Name New Chief of Infectious Diseases
- Miriam Plitt: The Art of Pawtucket
- Why Some College Students Hook Up More Than Others—Miriam
- Miriam Hospital Awarded Highest Nursing Credential for 5th Time
- Miriam Hospital Uses New Technology To Diagnose, Treat Bladder Cancer
- Miriam Hospital Hands Out Hurvitz Quality Improvement Awards
- Miriam Hospital Awarded $1.3 Million Grant for Research Project
- Miriam Hospital To Offer Men’s Cancer Wellness Group
- Miriam Ross Announces Run For Gordon Fox’s House Seat
- The 3 Myths of Testosterone—Miriam Expert
- Miriam Hospital Open RI’s First Comprehensive Kidney Stone Center
- Miriam Researchers: Prenatal Stress Leads To Nicotine Addiction
- Miriam Hospital Marks World AIDS Day With New Prevention Program
- Miriam Hospital’s Total Joint Center Receives Gold Seal of Approval