Mario Hilario Chairs HIV/AIDS Fundraiser April 25
Wednesday, March 13, 2013
Hilario is a well-known figure in Rhode Island, having anchored NBC 10 Weekend Sunrise since 1997. He has won an Associated Press award, and is a five-time Emmy award nominee. He also volunteers his time at a number of nonprofit organizations.
“Mario is beloved in Rhode Island, and we are most fortunate to have his assistance this year as we work to raise awareness of HIV/AIDS in Rhode Island and to raise funds to prevent its spread and to help people living with HIV/AIDS,” said event coordinator Amy Stein.
Ongoing need for funds, services in RI
AIDS Project RI executive director Thomas Bertrand, MPH, pointed out that, according to the Centers for Disease Control, approximately one of five people living with HIV in the United States do not even know that they are infected. “Funds raised via Dining Out for Life help AIDS Project RI conduct community-based HIV testing to help people know their status,” he said.
“I am honored to chair this important event that brings about awareness of HIV/AIDS as well as raises funds for HIV testing, education and prevention efforts, and to care for people infected with HIV,” Hilario said.
So far, 18 restaurants have signed up to donate a portion of their Thursday April 25 sales to AIDS Project RI. “We continue to sign up restaurants, so that number will likely change every day as we approach the event,” said Ms. Stein. An up-to-date listing is available at www.aidsprojectri.org.
“We ask everyone to take a look at the list and make a point to dine out at one or more of the participating restaurants on that day,” she said. “These establishments are supporting the fight against AIDS, so we’re asking the community to support them.”
- NEW: Sen. Reed Announces $1 Million in HIV/AIDS Prevention Funding
- New HIV Rapid Testing Comes to RI
- Miriam Attacks “Silent Epidemic” in HIV Patients
- Governor and Mrs Chafee Step Up for AIDS Walk for Life
- HIV Therapy Just Got Easier—Miriam Research
- Miriam Hospital Marks World AIDS Day with Milestone
- HIV + Drug Overdose Linked in RI Hospital Study
- Providence to Go Red for World AIDS Day
- Bradley, Hasbro Study on HIV and Juvenile Offenders
- World AIDS Day in Rhode Island
- NEW: RI HIV Coalition Announces World AIDS Day at State House