Former Providence Physicians Group Employee Indicted on Extortion Charges
Thursday, August 17, 2017
Randy Lutz, 35, of Providence, a former employee of a non-profit physicians group located in Providence, was indicted by a federal grand jury on Tuesday on charges that he allegedly demanded $25,000 in extortion payments for the return of digital media devices onto which he downloaded and took home private patient data and employee data belonging to the physicians group, without the knowledge and authorization of the physicians group.
It is alleged in the indictment that Lutz’s extortion demands were made in a series of emails, text messages and telephone calls to executives, board members and employees of the physicians' group after his employment with the physicians' group was terminated on May 3, 2017.
On July 20, 2017, during an investigation by the FBI and the United States Attorney’s Office into this matter, FBI agents and FBI Task Force officers executed a court authorized search of Lutz’s residence. During the search, several thumb drives, a laptop, and cell phone were seized. Some of the devices allegedly contained private patient data and employee data belonging to the physicians' group.
According to information presented to the court, it is alleged that after the search of Lutz’s residence was completed and members of law enforcement left the residence, Lutz telephoned an officer of the physicians' group and emailed a high-ranking officer at Lifespan to further discuss the matter.
Lutz was charged in this matter by way of a federal criminal complaint on July 24, 2017.
Related Slideshow: Providence Crime By the Numbers - 2016
- NEW: One of RI’s Top 10 Most Wanted Fugitives Arrested in Ohio
- Former Rep. Palumbo Arrested for Embezzling from Campaign Account
- Suspect in Federal Hill Dolce Villa Robbery Arrested
- Providence Residents in Possession of 5 Kilos of Cocaine Worth $150,000 Arrested
- UPDATED: Chair of Providence GOP Arrested for Child Molestation
- RI Prison Escapee Morales Arrested by MA State Police, Prison Officials React in Central Falls
- Top RI Comedian, Former Rhode Show Host Arrested on Cocaine Charges
- Providence Police Supervisor Arrested for Allegedly Drunkenly Spitting in Face of 17-Year- Old Girl
- Prov. Police Arrest Sex Offender for Taking Photo Up Woman’s Skirt at Prov. Place Mall
- NEW: Hells Angels Associate Arrested in Rhode Island on Drug, Weapons Charge
- Elorza: “Providence Will Continue to Arrest Individuals on ICE Warrants”
- Special Education Teacher Arrested for Possession of Child Porn
- Providence Man Arrested on Gun & Child Abuse Charges
- 79 People Arrested, 344 Citations Issued by RI State Police Over Holiday Weekend
- National Assn of Black Law Enforcement Officer Criticize Trump’s Position on Arrests
- One Arrest Made in Club Melee Caught on Video, Others Still Being Sought
- Mini Crime Spree: Two Providence Employees Arrested, One Suspended
- ACLU Settles Lawsuit With Tiverton Over 3rd Grader Searched & Arrested Without Cause
- 3 Providence Brothers, Previously Deported, Arrested for Leading Major Drug Cartel
- New York Man Arrested With Nearly 50 Pounds of Marijuana on Rt 95 in Hopkinton
- Boy Scout Master and Son Arrested By State Police for Child Porn
- UPDATED: Providence Police Arrest 30 in “Operation Stop the Flow” Heroin Sting
- Cranston Man Indicted, Arrested on Federal Firearms & Drug Trafficking Charges