The Cellar: Oregon Pinot Gris + Washington Rosé
Friday, July 12, 2013
‘Evening with Wine’ tasting at the Providence Wine Academy (to which 4 tickets remain) I have tasted a slew of wines from Oregon and Washington. Unfortunately, not every wine makes onto the tasting menu. The following is a review of two wines; one that did and one that didn’t.
If there is one group of varietals that Oregon winemakers have embraced over the past 30-40 years and have become experts at vinifying, it is the Pinot varietals (Gris, Blanc and Noir). While the price-train may already have left on Pinot Noir, there still are a lot of great Pinot Gris’ and Blanc’s out there for under $20.
The 2012 Pinot Gris from Ponzi Vineyards is a great example. Ponzi is a 120 acre family business founded in 1970. This certified sustainable Estate is truly a family affair with several members of the Ponzi family taking
Charles Smith is a self-taught winemaker who has already gained a lot of recognition in his relatively short winemaking carrier. A series of “Best New Winery” and “Winemaker of the Year” awards have propelled the guy to the forefront of a lot of peoples mind. Next week’s tasting will feature two of his wines, this Rosé and a Syrah. The Rosé is medium-bodied and delicious filled with watermelon, strawberries and spice. It has an acidic core that elevates the wine and keeps everything nicely balanced.
Steffen Rasch is a Certified Sommelier and Specialist of Wine. Feel free to email him at [email protected] with any wine-related question or sign up for one of his tastings through the Providence Wine Academy.
- The Cellar: Barrington’s Grapes & Grains
- The Cellar: Inexpensive Summer Sauvignon Blancs
- The Cellar: Sipping Wines For Spring
- The Cellar: Wines To Pair With Dad’s Favorite Dishes
- The Cellar: Cooling Off With Sparkling Wines
- The Cellar: Italian Reds + Whites
- The Cellar: Spanish Wine Under $10
- The Cellar: Don’t Miss The 2013 Boston Wine Expo
- The Cellar: New Wines, Great Values
- The Cellar: Spanish Wines From Ribera del Duero
- The Cellar: French Malbec + Gewürztraminer
- The Cellar: Pinot Gris + Beaujolais
- The Cellar: Sparkling Wines From France + California
- The Cellar: French Whites + Italian Reds
- The Cellar: Pinot Noir
- The Cellar: Standout Wine + Food From Mohegan Sun’s WineFest 2013
- The Cellar: French Wine Finds For Spring
- The Cellar: Red Wines for Chilly Winter Nights
- The Cellar: Summer Values from Portugal
- The Cellar: Great Values From Spain + Portugal
- The Cellar: Red, White, Rose–3 Wines For The Holiday Weekend
- The Cellar: Two Wines You Should Always Have On Hand
- The Cellar: Great Wines for Outdoor Parties
- The Cellar: Riesling, Pinot + Cabernet
- The Cellar: Wines From New Zealand + Australia