Providence Named “Top Foodie City” by CNBC
Monday, January 31, 2011
Like you needed to tell Rhode Islanders this.
But there was method to the listmaking. Sperlings Best Places relied on data, assessing and weighting the ratio of local restaurants to chain restaurants, number of Whole Foods and cooking stores, number of wine shops, wine bars, craft breweries, and brew pubs; and the number of CSA (community supported agriculture) farms and local farmers markets.
With special mention of the capital city's proportion of local restaurants to chains, and a high number of CSA farms, Providence took its place among an esteemed (and tasty) crowd: Santa Rosa, CA (centered in Napa Valley), Portland, OR, Burlington, VT, Portland, ME, San Francisco, CA, Boston/Cambridge, MA, Seattle, WA, Santa Fe, NM, and Santa Barbara, CA. CNBC didn't hold back in praising a place where the hot wiener holds sway with stuffies.
- Family Circle says Bristol is top 10 in US
- Brown Named Among Top Intellectual Colleges in US
- Newport Beach Makes T+L Top List
- Providence Named ‘Top Arts Destination’ by AmericanStyle Magazine
- Scientists from Brown, Women & Infants, Lauded by Time Magazine’s “Top 10 of Everything of 2010”